Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Deck CAD Files Published Under Creative Commons

Phoronix: Steam Deck CAD Files Published Under Creative Commons

Ahead of the Steam Deck being released later this month, Valve today opened up all the Steam Deck design files to the public...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thats the way, Project KillSwitch can create its Steam Deck Case, right?

Comment

Do keep in mind that the license ([modified?]CC-BY-NC-SA 4.0) they're applying to the hardware design does not cover patent and trademark rights

Comment

What me wonder is, that in the license file stands "Copyright 2019 Valve Corporation".
        So in 2019 the design was already finished?
        And the license exists also already on that time?

I have also searched, which projects beside the SteamDeck are also on the gitlab.steamos.cloud.
        The only one I have found is

Don't know, where there is the difference to
        A runtime environment for Steam applications. Contribute to ValveSoftware/steam-runtime development by creating an account on GitHub.
        Last edited by theuserbl; 11 February 2022, 10:42 PM.

Comment

This is really cool. Too bad there are no any CC/GPL or otherwise open source software to actually open these DWG & STP files...

Comment

Cool, this is going to lead to some amazing accessibility tools, I'm thinking.

Comment

I think I can already smell the melting filament.

Comment

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                This is really cool. Too bad there are no any CC/GPL or otherwise open source software to actually open these DWG & STP files...
                FreeCAD can import STP (STEP) files.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                  Thats the way, Project KillSwitch can create its Steam Deck Case, right?
                  No, because they are under a non-commercial license. Phoronix apparently also cannot use the image in the article because it seems to be covered by the same license and Michael makes money off Phoronix.

Originally posted by Zgembo View Post
                  Everyone and their mom can read STL files.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    Everyone and their mom can read STL files.
                    Yeah, I was wrong about STL, but please introduce me to a mum who can read DWG...

Comment

Working...
                    X