Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steam On Linux Hovered Just Above 1% For January 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Personally, I don't play games on linux unless they run as fast as or faster than Windows, especially since I have to give up VRR... at the moment, that amounts to just Java based games like Minecraft and Starsector.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by birdie View Post

      Considering the progress it's likely to never happen. Why? Because Linux doesn't want to evolve to become an install and forget OS.
      well, many member of linux community are masochist, even they are given an easy way to do things, they choose to do the hard way, because "muh freedom" to move my taskbar somewhere else. It's not exactly how you do install and forget OS.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

        well, many member of linux community are masochist, even they are given an easy way to do things, they choose to do the hard way, because "muh freedom" to move my taskbar somewhere else. It's not exactly how you do install and forget OS.
        What exactly is this advocacy? Should all Linux users immediately stop using their systems how they want and developers stop working on scratching their itches and fall in line with some ideological diktat about how a "install and forget OS" should be?

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          Seems there is no Native DOTA2 client for linux any more.
          All the machine where I have Dota installed now needs to launch it through Steam Play ...
          Then you are doing something wrong, since Dota 2 Linux support has not been dropped. In fact, just a week ago they updated the Linux runtime for Dota 2.

          https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/4978168332488878344

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by johanb View Post

            Then you are doing something wrong, since Dota 2 Linux support has not been dropped. In fact, just a week ago they updated the Linux runtime for Dota 2.

            https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/4978168332488878344
            I had a message informing me that the game is running though steam play. Probably was a weird bug because it disappeared after I cancelled launching and restated steam it disappeared.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post

              I had a message informing me that the game is running though steam play. Probably was a weird bug because it disappeared after I cancelled launching and restated steam it disappeared.
              It's possible to force a game to use the windows version instead of the native Linux version. You're sure you didn't accidentally force the game to use proton?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by abu_shawarib View Post

                I had a message informing me that the game is running though steam play. Probably was a weird bug because it disappeared after I cancelled launching and restated steam it disappeared.
                Likely the same thing that was discussed here (dota2 run in a container now).
                https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/0...ime-container/
                Last edited by pmorph; 06 February 2022, 05:18 AM.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by johanb View Post

                  Then you are doing something wrong, since Dota 2 Linux support has not been dropped. In fact, just a week ago they updated the Linux runtime for Dota 2.

                  https://www.dota2.com/newsentry/4978168332488878344
                  How wrong can you press the "Play" button ?
                  It was working without steam play the one day, the next day it told me it is launching via steam play.
                  Nothing changed and it happened on 2 different machines.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                    Seems there is no Native DOTA2 client for linux any more.
                    All the machine where I have Dota installed now needs to launch it through Steam Play ...
                    Bullshit?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
                      Bullshit?
                      Mostly. There is still a Linux native client for DOTA2 now it requires the steam runtime container. There was a glitch where starting a game steam runtime container display as if it was starting game by Steam Play when that was not what was happening. And there was another glitch when DOTA2 changed from the old system using chroot for steam runtime to steam runtime container. Yes the glitch at the change over could have caused DOTA2 to only run by proton/Steam Play until the next steam client update and these are randomised based by user ID so Raka555 could have been unlucky to hit this one thing have a long wait to the update. .

                      Yes a few others have seen the steam play message and check the process list and notice that proton/wine is not running at all. For some reason on some systems starting up the steam runtime container equal print message running by steam play but that bug was fixed.

                      So what Raka555 saw was a bug and there is two possible bugs. So Raka555 was not intentionally fibbing or intentionally doing anything wrong. Software glitches do create some creative system responses at times and invalid messages at times.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X