Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Battle For Good Open-Source Game Graphics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritant
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
    It's not about bugs. Bugs can be fixed. It's about the design itself. The way of making games has changed dramatically. The complexity of game projects has increased a lot. The old aged black-box design of game engines is not flexible enough anymore to cope with upcoming projects. Furthermore I know a lot of people who have creative ideas but the existing engines have lacking work pipelines and are cumbersome to use yet limited in what you can do without totally dismantling the engine and coding the hell out of it. I checked out all engines around when I got to my project including AAA engines but none could handle the requirements needed. Granted some engines came a long way and are no more that much of a buggy hell as they used to be back then but if I see people churn out stuff like "out engine is the best because it has the best graphics!" then I'm getting sick. To get game development on Linux kicking you need more than what the FOSS engines today can provide. You need a game engine which is usable for serious game projects which goes beyond the FPS engine we have right now. Many ask why people don't use FOSS engines more. The answer is simple: the existing ones are simply not ready for prime time yet.
    This is still fairly vague. What are your specific requirements needed in an engine?

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Originally posted by Irritant View Post
    Nobody is saying you can't criticize. Criticism is what allows developers myself to improve their products. Of course there is also the social grace and tact that allows such criticism to be constructive rather than destructive.

So if there are bugs that you are finding, or design flaws, it would be helpful to developers to know specifically what you need in order to develop your game on the engine. Just saying "I'm sick of FPS and this engine is "inflexible"" is useless to a developer.
    It's not about bugs. Bugs can be fixed. It's about the design itself. The way of making games has changed dramatically. The complexity of game projects has increased a lot. The old aged black-box design of game engines is not flexible enough anymore to cope with upcoming projects. Furthermore I know a lot of people who have creative ideas but the existing engines have lacking work pipelines and are cumbersome to use yet limited in what you can do without totally dismantling the engine and coding the hell out of it. I checked out all engines around when I got to my project including AAA engines but none could handle the requirements needed. Granted some engines came a long way and are no more that much of a buggy hell as they used to be back then but if I see people churn out stuff like "out engine is the best because it has the best graphics!" then I'm getting sick. To get game development on Linux kicking you need more than what the FOSS engines today can provide. You need a game engine which is usable for serious game projects which goes beyond the FPS engine we have right now. Many ask why people don't use FOSS engines more. The answer is simple: the existing ones are simply not ready for prime time yet.

Leave a comment:

• Irritant
    replied
    If criticizing sub-par design and bugs in software is considered "insulting" then we should all go back using Windows and living in stagnation and bugs hell. Seriously get your head out of your ass there. More I don't have to say to this crap post of yours.
    Nobody is saying you can't criticize. Criticism is what allows developers myself to improve their products. Of course there is also the social grace and tact that allows such criticism to be constructive rather than destructive.

So if there are bugs that you are finding, or design flaws, it would be helpful to developers to know specifically what you need in order to develop your game on the engine. Just saying "I'm sick of FPS and this engine is "inflexible"" is useless to a developer.

Leave a comment:

• kraftman
    replied
    Forget about using commercial engines. People making FOSS games are generally doing this as a hobbby, and aren't going to spend half a million dollars(or even 5000 dollars) to use a AAA, AA, or A engine.

As I said before, FOSS game creation is most often a hobby, and a labor of love. If I had half a million to blow on licensing the UT3 engine, I wouldn't do it. Where would the fun for ME be in that?
    Hobby, that's a point. I don't see big commercial success for Open Source games (except FlightGear and Danger from the Deep, because they'll be probably much more realistic then commercial simulators in the future), but it doesn't mean they're worse or something like that. They aim at old-school gamers rather then at market needs where graphics and simplicity usually counts the most. There's lack of really innovative and ambitious (aka strategy, simulator, cRPG; especially when comes to consoles...) games today and maybe that's a chance for OS titles which can bring more demanding experience and get some more interest.

P.S. Some people think quality of a game is measured by number of players... More people may prefer Looney Tunes music over Mozart and does it mean LT music is better? I prefer more ambitious games and more ambitious films like Pulp Fiction over Too Mad Too Stupid. If someone still doesn't know how much more ambitious some PC games are he must be an idiot.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    I'm not sure if you understood me. I didn't say "funny" as in humorous, I said "fun" as in it gives me pleasure to work on it. I would also request that you cease with the insulting dialog(as in referring to something as being "badly designed"). I won't continue any discussion here if the insults continue, and I think it's in the best interest of the non-developers to show a little courtesy when they are requesting of the developers.

These engines are not nearly as inflexible as you think. I've seen a variety of game types created from them that are not FPS.
    If criticizing sub-par design and bugs in software is considered "insulting" then we should all go back using Windows and living in stagnation and bugs hell. Seriously get your head out of your ass there. More I don't have to say to this crap post of yours.

Leave a comment:

• rogerdv
    replied
    Originally posted by 0.1. View Post
    FOSS games need artists, but they would need them less if these projects were using free license for their artworks, not only for their engine.
    We will always need artists. Using free assets isnt a choice, first because each game design is almost unique, perhaps I handle switching items/clothes in a different way that Scourge, for example. Second, all open source games would look the same. A free assests repo sometimes not even covers the models required for testing in the initial game phase. I dont even have a decent looking trees because the ones available doesnt export properly to Ogre. I just have 2 animated models, both from Ogre demos, because no humanoids properly textured and animated are available for free.

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    Actually Homeworld is being ported to the Pandora at the moment ... so developemt is hardly halted and you aren't stopped from fixing proglems with it

Leave a comment:

replied
    FOSS games need artists, but they would need them less if these projects were using free license for their artworks, not only for their engine.
    There are a few repositories with open assets : some are public domain, some others BSD, GPL, ... and Creative Commons by & by-sa.
    Keeping in mind the more your license is restrictive, the less it will be compatible with existing projects, this is why some Creative Commons clauses (the ones which make it non-free) can be annoying.
    If artists are planning to help FOSS gaming community, they should seriously consider adopting a very free license, see no license at all (i.e: public domain). Or eventually release work under several licenses.

Freegamedev already did some quite good job for that : http://wiki.freegamedev.net/index.ph...udio_resources

My 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• Irritant
    replied
    Having a badly designed game engine is not funny at all. This is what keeps Linux games back right now since those who could do something great are blocked by the existing engines right now. Linux gaming won't pick off using one-shot FPS-aligned engines as we have right now. It simply can't because FPS games are just a tiny part of all possible games. And with inflexible engines everybody has to reinvent the wheel and as a hobby most of the capable people don't have the time for that.
    I'm not sure if you understood me. I didn't say "funny" as in humorous, I said "fun" as in it gives me pleasure to work on it. I would also request that you cease with the insulting dialog(as in referring to something as being "badly designed"). I won't continue any discussion here if the insults continue, and I think it's in the best interest of the non-developers to show a little courtesy when they are requesting of the developers.

These engines are not nearly as inflexible as you think. I've seen a variety of game types created from them that are not FPS.

Leave a comment:

• Dragonlord
    replied
    Having a badly designed game engine is not funny at all. This is what keeps Linux games back right now since those who could do something great are blocked by the existing engines right now. Linux gaming won't pick off using one-shot FPS-aligned engines as we have right now. It simply can't because FPS games are just a tiny part of all possible games. And with inflexible engines everybody has to reinvent the wheel and as a hobby most of the capable people don't have the time for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X