Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Battle For Good Open-Source Game Graphics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irritant
    replied
    Well this sure got a bit off topic I think the point of the article is that open sourced game engines are making some advances graphically, and that they are pushing each other via a bit of friendly competition.

That the games that are currently using these engines are primarily FPS is irrelevant for the most part. The reason most of these are FPS is quite simple - the source code was released by the FPS Kings, id Software. Quite naturally the people who gravited towards and tinkered with it were going to be fans of the genre and create something that they liked. The blunt truth is, most people that create games as a hobby primarily are doing it for themselves, as artistic expression, and not for others. If people like it, that's a great bonus, but it's not often what drives them.

Games like Nexuiz, Alien Arena, Warsow, etc, are so much more than simple "Quake/UT clones". They are created by people who've been playing this type of game for years and wanted to make something that they enjoyed, and improve upon the original idea. The old tried and true "run and gun deathmatch" is only but a small portion of what these games offer. Do they have stories? No, but they aren't meant to. These are much more akin to elaborate arcade games than to anything story driven.

Citing a lack of story or RPG elements is not really a valid criticism because that just isn't what they are trying to be. One can lament the lack of RPG's or 2D side scrollers, but that again has nothing to do with the article or the games mentioned in it and only reflects on personal tastes or distastes of a specific genre.

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Being opensource is a requirement for the GPL but the GPL is not a requirement for being opensource.
    This is true. Just look at mechwarrior 2. the source was simply "shared".

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    so, so wrong.

following your logic, Crysis is open source too! You can't distribute it or do anything with it, but you can play it and if you pay a shitload of money they might let you fix a bug

Sorry but the source code for Crysis has never been released for public modification. Your really reaching for straws on that.

Being opensource is a requirement for the GPL but the GPL is not a requirement for being opensource.
    Last edited by deanjo; 04-27-2009, 07:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
    [Pedantic ass-hole] Anyway am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the viper has contrails forming on its wing/fin tips in space? I mean that requires air and water typically not found in the middle of space... [/Pedantic ass-hole]
    Vipers are like Harley Davidsons, they leak fluids even just standing still. :P

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    good lord son i just seen a penguin and an octopus driving down the road in carts!

unfortunately thats the good world we cant live in

well...sober....

Leave a comment:

• Craig73
    replied
    Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    all these good engines. But they all FPS . this isn't a bad thing but I haven't played a realistic racing game on linux without wine.
    SuperTuxCart ;-)

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    @energyman the freespace license only restricts commercial distribution so yeah it obviously can be distributed otherwise you wouldn't be able to play it... also where is the source for Crysis? pretty sure it is closed source

IMO as long as the license allow the game to be updated and worked on by new people (new blood if you will) and can be distributed freely there shouldn't be a problem discussing it here

Homeworld has a similar license to freespace...

these questions aren't new... but is a BSD license second class to GPL or the Freespace and Homeworld Lisences? the all allow the code to continue development isn't that what is important anyway? These lisences all have pros and cons ie BSD is awesome for proprietary companies to worth with it makes things easy for them with GPL being harder to deal with and the homewold/freespace licenses at the other end of the spectrum with no commercial possibility at all

That doesn't change the fact however that they are ALL Open source with varying degrees of freedom (ie GPL having a sort of reduced "protective freedom")

Leave a comment:

• Aradreth
    replied
    I think Beyond the Red Line punts Vegastrike to the curb in that aspect (or pretty much any other oss game there is out there IMHO)

http://www.youtube.com/BeyondtheRedLine
    I had completely forgotten about that one...
    [Pedantic ass-hole] Anyway am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the viper has contrails forming on its wing/fin tips in space? I mean that requires air and water typically not found in the middle of space... [/Pedantic ass-hole]

Leave a comment:

• L33F3R
    replied
    all these good engines. But they all FPS . this isn't a bad thing but I haven't played a realistic racing game on linux without wine.

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    Sorry opensource existed way before the GPL and most of it was public domain. In fact the Freespace engiine license if it was around, and was used in his printer drivers, it would have allowed for Stallman to fix his crappy printer drivers and possibly lose inspiration to even create the GPL.
    so, so wrong.

following your logic, Crysis is open source too! You can't distribute it or do anything with it, but you can play it and if you pay a shitload of money they might let you fix a bug

Leave a comment:

Working...
X