Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Battle For Good Open-Source Game Graphics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    GPL is essence of Open Source. This thread is about REAL Open Source games not about free crappy licenses.

Nope, Pacman is simple arcade game not RPG or Strategy. If only graphic counts we'd be playing 3D mark games. Every game which focuses mainly on graphics is crap. There's no game which can compete with Fallout 1 or 2.
    Legend Of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Breath Of Fire, Tale Of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania, Megaman, Super Mario Brothers, Metroid, Stalker, King Of Fighters, Kengo: Master Of Bushido, Onimusha, Shadow Of The Colossus, Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, Zone Of The Enders, Armored Core, Incredible Crisis, Virtua Fighter, Gran Tourismo, Panzer Dragoon, Devil May Cry, Sonic The Hedgehog I haven't even named a fraction of the great games and series out there that could be looked to for inspiration.

Hell I don't even think it'd even be possible to make some of the great arcade shooters like Time Crisis or House Of The Dead work on a comp.

It's also been posted that we should really have some DIY engines like RPG Maker, Fighter Maker, Mugen and Neverwinter Nights, if the community if dev bound then open up the actal game making to the potential players, you just have to build an engine and dev tools that let any idiot be able to slap together maps and chars like they're playing a Tony Hawk's Pro Skater title.

Comment

I was just wondering, since one of the main problems i keep hearing is that texture and gameplay artists are needed, why don't you find an already great mod for another game and make it compatible with the game engine in question?

Comment

Originally posted by crispy View Post
        I was just wondering, since one of the main problems i keep hearing is that texture and gameplay artists are needed, why don't you find an already great mod for another game and make it compatible with the game engine in question?
        It doesn't quite work that way. A mod is typically dependent upon the underlying engine (or at least its interfaces).

I also see a lot of people making custom engines, but not the tools required to work with them. People would more willing to work with an engine, I think, if the editors were there as well. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
          I don't see it so much as a problem of quality graphics, but one of gameplay and physics, so what we can render in GLSL now, the game will still be a basic @$$ FPS game which is nothing more then a gilded Quake clone, there is no story and no game play innovation.
          This is a matter of taste here, and no offense, to say there is no game play innovation or that it is a quake clone is a bit uninformed. Alien Arena has a variety of modes besides just straight deathmatch. There is Deathball, which is kind of like soccer war. There is Team Core Assault, which is a team based strategy mode that is beyond frantic. There is Cattle Prod, another team based mode that involves herding robotic cattle mutants, and there is All Out Assault which involves flying around in spaceships. There are also class-based modes, and other various mutators that alter the game play in interesting ways.

The choice to make an FPS has little to do with anything other than it has been my favorite type of game for 15 years. I grew up during the initial video game explosion(yes I'm pretty old), and trust me, I've played my fair share of nearly every type of game in existence. I've also created a good number of game types. It has nothing to do with "not knowing anything else", it just comes down to a matter of taste. I don't care for RPG's, so I didn't make one, but that isn't stopping anyone from using mine, or any other of the FPS engines to make one.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            GPL is essence of Open Source. This thread is about REAL Open Source games not about free crappy licenses.
            Sorry opensource existed way before the GPL and most of it was public domain. In fact the Freespace engiine license if it was around, and was used in his printer drivers, it would have allowed for Stallman to fix his crappy printer drivers and possibly lose inspiration to even create the GPL.
            Last edited by deanjo; 27 April 2009, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
              He didn't say games are all about graphics. He said graphics are also important. And that is something I would personally agree with. I also remember how cool it was to play RA years ago, and that in my memory it was one of the best strategy games ever. Looking at it objectively though, it is not good to today's standards. It is nostalgia that interferes. I am not a fallout/RPG player, so I don't know how much of this is true for those games. But I guess games like Diablo III are much better then fallout 1/2 if you would compare them on a objective basis.
              Ok, thanks for pointing this, but don't even compare diablo to Fallouts, because it's stupid hack and slash :P

@Duo Maxwell

Why did you mention those games? Are they OS or free maybe? Btw. I really don't want to see console crap on PC's (except Virtua Fighter).

There are some OS games which are better than many comercial titles - Spring RTS + mods (much better gameplay then Supreme Commander IMO), UFO AI (better then UFO Aftermath etc.), Urban Terror, DangerDeep (when it'll be finished and it can't beat SH 2 yet), Vega Strike, Flight Gear.

Sorry opensource existed way before the GPL and most of it was public domain. In fact the Freespace engiine license if it was around, and was used in his printer drivers, it would have allowed for Stallman to fix his crappy printer drivers and possibly lose inspiration to even create the GPL.
              But it doesn't mean GPL isn't essence of Open Source. About second part - maybe, possibly, who knows...
              Last edited by kraftman; 27 April 2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                so, so wrong.

following your logic, Crysis is open source too! You can't distribute it or do anything with it, but you can play it and if you pay a shitload of money they might let you fix a bug

Comment

all these good engines. But they all FPS . this isn't a bad thing but I haven't played a realistic racing game on linux without wine.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    I think Beyond the Red Line punts Vegastrike to the curb in that aspect (or pretty much any other oss game there is out there IMHO)

http://www.youtube.com/BeyondtheRedLine
                    I had completely forgotten about that one...
                    [Pedantic ass-hole] Anyway am I the only one who thinks it's odd that the viper has contrails forming on its wing/fin tips in space? I mean that requires air and water typically not found in the middle of space... [/Pedantic ass-hole]

Comment

@energyman the freespace license only restricts commercial distribution so yeah it obviously can be distributed otherwise you wouldn't be able to play it... also where is the source for Crysis? pretty sure it is closed source

IMO as long as the license allow the game to be updated and worked on by new people (new blood if you will) and can be distributed freely there shouldn't be a problem discussing it here

Homeworld has a similar license to freespace...

these questions aren't new... but is a BSD license second class to GPL or the Freespace and Homeworld Lisences? the all allow the code to continue development isn't that what is important anyway? These lisences all have pros and cons ie BSD is awesome for proprietary companies to worth with it makes things easy for them with GPL being harder to deal with and the homewold/freespace licenses at the other end of the spectrum with no commercial possibility at all

That doesn't change the fact however that they are ALL Open source with varying degrees of freedom (ie GPL having a sort of reduced "protective freedom")

Comment

Working...
                      X