Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Battle For Good Open-Source Game Graphics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using free assets isnt a choice, first because each game design is almost unique, perhaps I handle switching items/clothes in a different way that Scourge, for example
    This is why free licenses allow modification Artists can adapt to suit needs, and modify to give uniqueness.
    The purpose of my post was to encourage artists to contribute to free licensed art, not to say they were already usable as final products in your game

Comment

• I'm not a coder and I lead OpenArena (The leader = coder requirement is a farce). I only submitted a few .patch files towards OpenArena's code. Though right now OA has only one 3d artist - and that is me. And that sucks because i've been lacking a lot of free time lately You see Free time makes the OSS world go round unless you're corporately sponsored with funding, which I don't intend to get since no monetary amount will give me 8 hours of blender fun daily.

Unfortunately the hobbyist artist scene has minimized itself to HL2 mods, UT2k4 mods (even less so) and 2d pixel art for indie hipster games. The bustling period of generous art help has ended a long time ago (2003, when Tremulous, Urban Terror and World of Padman were well far into asset production). Or they got jobs. In this economy spare time can't be spared, so don't blame them.
      Last edited by leilei; 01 May 2009, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leilei View Post
        I'm not a coder and I lead OpenArena (The leader = coder requirement is a farce). I only submitted a few .patch files towards OpenArena's code. Though right now OA has only one 3d artist - and that is me. And that sucks because i've been lacking a lot of free time lately You see Free time makes the OSS world go round unless you're corporately sponsored with funding, which I don't intend to get since no monetary amount will give me 8 hours of blender fun daily.

Unfortunately the hobbyist artist scene has minimized itself to HL2 mods, UT2k4 mods (even less so) and 2d pixel art for indie hipster games. The bustling period of generous art help has ended a long time ago (2003, when Tremulous, Urban Terror and World of Padman were well far into asset production). Or they got jobs. In this economy spare time can't be spared, so don't blame them.
        wth only 1? why didn't you invite good ole l33f3r to the scene?

Comment

• Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
          all these good engines. But they all FPS . this isn't a bad thing but I haven't played a realistic racing game on linux without wine.
          I guess this is a few pages back at this point, but have you played with TORCS at all?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
            I guess this is a few pages back at this point, but have you played with TORCS at all?
            played it, respect it, but dont particularly like it. Hardly considered realistic and very oldschool as far as artwork.

Comment

Working...
            X