Cemu Emulator Plans For 2022 With Going Open-Source, Aiming For Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Huh, just another drama in opensource world. Like seriously, people just make a big deal out of minuscule things...
    maybe, it doesn't change the fact that it was his code, and he has the legal right where GPLv2 is respected to attribution, such attribution was stripped and thus GPLv2 was violated.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      There were rumors early on that CEMU used copyright/stolen work to accelerate its development and being closed source was an attempt to hide that.
      Baseless rumors.

Originally posted by qlum View Post
      I also think their motivation had something to do with not wanting to accept contributions at an earlier stage.
      Especially distancing themselves from the mess of versions dolphin has become.
      Dolphin suffers a mess of versions? For a decade there have been only two: nightly and years-old stable. More recently they created "beta" releases but they're simply nightly versions released the same day of the (bi)montlhy report.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

maybe, it doesn't change the fact that it was his code, and he has the legal right where GPLv2 is respected to attribution, such attribution was stripped and thus GPLv2 was violated.
        Then he can go against them. and to be honest, its also a dick move to lock foss builds behind a paywall and attempt to punish everyone who use his rights to redistribute them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post

Then he can go against them. and to be honest, its also a dick move to lock foss builds behind a paywall and attempt to punish everyone who use his rights to redistribute them.
          why bother, nothing but burden would come of it? I know I would rather just let people know when I can that yuzu steals code. we have an alternative that is just as good, so i would rather convince people to use the alternative instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Good!
            But why was it closed source in the first place, you had to pay to use it?
            A lot of emulators have a Patreon version that has all the latest bells and whistles. CEMU has run it's course mostly because the emulator works pretty good now and that Switch emulators are making it irrelevant in terms of gaming. Most WiiU games have been ported to Switch with added features, and Yuzu and Ryujinx are nearly as fast as CEMU at emulation. Plus Yuzu and Ryujinx have had Linux support from nearly their inception.

Anyone looking to use Yuzu should just get this version since it's essentially the Pateron version with all the goodies without paying the Pateron price. It's not donating if it's forcing you to pay to get the latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by Rccero View Post

Baseless rumors.

Dolphin suffers a mess of versions? For a decade there have been only two: nightly and years-old stable. More recently they created "beta" releases but they're simply nightly versions released the same day of the (bi)montlhy report.
              Dolphin has a couple major forks, including one that was Windows only I believe (I forgot the name of it right now, but supposedly it was a lot more fluid for some until some recent addition to upstream a year or 3 ago)

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              A lot of emulators have a Patreon version that has all the latest bells and whistles. CEMU has run it's course mostly because the emulator works pretty good now and that Switch emulators are making it irrelevant in terms of gaming. Most WiiU games have been ported to Switch with added features, and Yuzu and Ryujinx are nearly as fast as CEMU at emulation. Plus Yuzu and Ryujinx have had Linux support from nearly their inception.

Anyone looking to use Yuzu should just get this version since it's essentially the Pateron version with all the goodies without paying the Pateron price. It's not donating if it's forcing you to pay to get the latest version.
              https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src
              Isn't most of the new stuff if Patreon builds available in PRs on GH anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                Isn't most of the new stuff if Patreon builds available in PRs on GH anyway?
                yeah the entire point is that you can build it yourself if you want to. which is what pineappleea does

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

yeah the entire point is that you can build it yourself if you want to. which is what pineappleea does
                  Yeah nothing scammy or forced at all that way. Though I can kind of understand why Yuzu would not want to have links to a site that distributes for free what they sell.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                    Dolphin has a couple major forks, including one that was Windows only I believe (I forgot the name of it right now, but supposedly it was a lot more fluid for some until some recent addition to upstream a year or 3 ago)
                    The most famous one kept the old DX9 backend alive for the dozens of people still running XP. Another one had the (until recently) unemulated Motion+ "emulated" in gross fashion. But for the most part, you either run the latest stable, or go with one of the more recent nightly versions. At this point legit breakage is rare, and Dolphin is pretty much running out of things on it's "left to do" pile.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post

The most famous one kept the old DX9 backend alive for the dozens of people still running XP. Another one had the (until recently) unemulated Motion+ "emulated" in gross fashion. But for the most part, you either run the latest stable, or go with one of the more recent nightly versions. At this point legit breakage is rare, and Dolphin is pretty much running out of things on it's "left to do" pile.
                      Yeah I think most forks features got mainlined one way or another.

Comment

Working...
                      X