X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finite9 View Post
    Day Of The Tentacle
    You just threw in the magic words.

It is available on Steam (natively on Linux) since 2016 though. I know because I bought it the day it became available.

Also, about a week ago I was cleaning up old stuff and threw out my original Monkey Island 2 box and the 3" 1/2 disks it contained. I realize now it could have been a collector item to sell. 🤦‍♂️
    Last edited by Mez'; 04 January 2022, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      You just threw in the magic words.

It is available on Steam (natively on Linux) since 2016 though. I know because I bought it the day it became available.

Also, about a week ago I was cleaning up old stuff and threw out my original Monkey Island 2 box and the 3" 1/2 disks it contained. I realize now it could have been a collector item to sell. 🤦‍♂️
      You really don't want to check auction prices...

Comment

I am one of those Steam users, i use Ubuntu exclusively as my OS since ~5-6 years (14.04 was my first version i used regulary).
        Gaming on steam has improved significantly in this timeframe.
        You can even play AAA Titles on release day nowerdays.. Granted there are some performance issues or other issues sometimes (looking at Cyperpunk here) but in general it works very well.

Stadia gave a big push for Vulkan Support IMHO, as they require a linux binary as well as Vulkan.

From a game developer perspective: You can´t really beat MS Visual Studio, most Engines written in C++ are developed with it. The IDE / Debugger integration is really nice..
        There is no comparable IDE for Linux IMHO.. That´s why most development happens on windows PCs.
        Visual Studio comes with it´s own msbuild build system with a great integration into their MVCC compiler... If you want to use clang or gcc, you typically use CMake.. In recent Visual Studio versions they added native support for Cmake (IDE shows project based on CMakeList files).. However the support is still pretty lacking..
        "Remote debugging" works somehow, even remote build + debugging, but it´s not as nice as using MVCC and their native debugger..

Setting up a build for Linux from an existing Visual Studio project is a pain in the bu*** as you have to migrate everything to cmake, use another compiler and loose a lot of debugging features / have to do things by hand.. Guess that´s one reason why we don´t see a lot of Linux Ports.

I imagine targeting Game Consoles comes with the same challenges though..

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
          New month, same low numbers
          moron, half of macos is very high number
          Last edited by pal666; 06 January 2022, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
            I was talking about gaming in general, not just Steam.
            but you only have statistics for steam. steam games work everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by eriktorbjorn View Post
              I've never gotten Proton to work at all. I'm guessing it requires a working Vulkan driver
              dxvk does. try setting command to
              Code:
              PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
                From a game developer perspective: You can´t really beat MS Visual Studio, most Engines written in C++ are developed with it. The IDE / Debugger integration is really nice..
                There is no comparable IDE for Linux IMHO.. That´s why most development happens on windows PCs.
                i don't develop games, but i do develop software in c++ and i have years of professional experience with visual studio on windows and eclipse on linux(including simultaneously, i.e. versions from same years) and i can assure you that eclipse is more powerful(though you have to know how to set it up, that piece is hard)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  dxvk does. try setting command to
                  Code:
                  PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 %command%
                  Thanks, but I've tried that before and I just tried it again. It doesn't make any difference at all for me. The games just silently fail to launch, even though at least one that I tried works fine with Wine and so clearly doesn't require Vulkan. So while I've heard good things about Proton, and while I'm sure it's an impressive piece of technology that does wonders for some, it does nothing for me.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. Whoever develops a game gets to decide which platforms they want to release it for, and I respect that. At least as long as they haven't explicitly promised a Linux port, only to quietly drop it and then never speak of it again. Which is why I'm no longer as enthusiastic about Kickstarter campaigns as I used to be. (If they drop it and explain why, that's disappointing but may at least be understandable.)

But as long as there are other native Linux games that just work, it'd have to be a pretty special game for me to put more effort into getting it to work in Linux than they did.

Comment

Would be nice if the 3.5 mm headphone jack on the ps4 controller worked when the controller is connected via blue tooth.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      moron, half of macos is very high number
                      First of all I hope you got flagged for the first word. Second Macs are unsuitable for gaming, at least the more 3D the game, the more troubles one may expect. There is no point to compare against macos, as the hardware is just different. Also market share is not the only variable. Effort needed to support particular platform counts. For Linux it counts that Nvidia's drivers are of poor qulity. For Mac it counts that opengl is capped at 4.1, so version from 10 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X