Canonical Hiring For An Ubuntu Linux Desktop Gaming Product Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post

Sadly not true, Sid also freezes. During the freeze only experimental is rolling. There are proposals to change this, but no consensus.
    Ah, thanks for the clarifications.
    I did not notice (or did not remember experiencing it) the freeze or how long it lasts as just after it the updates come on in again without a perceived break or having to do anything for the new release.

Truly rolling would be great. Do you have a link to the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

No its not, they were specifically mentioning the kernel as one of the reasons.
      Can you point me to that statement then? I would be highly confused it that would be the case, because the kernel is extermenly easy to replace. They even just could have used Liquorix, which has repositories for Debian.

SteamOS <2 was debian based and there was no issue with the "desktop" experience and in any case the main use for steam deck is steam/bigview (using the steam deck as a desktop is a gimmick/icing on the cake since you already get this for "free" when you use Linux).
      SteamOS <2 was designed as "Couch OS", with no desktop in mind, and that's one reason why it failed. While yes sure the new SteamOS is also for the Deck, I'm certain that they also want to make sure to not make the mistake of a "bad" desktop experience* again.

* bad in comparison to a desktop experience for a typical Windows gaming setup.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Ah, thanks for the clarifications.
        I did not notice (or did not remember experiencing it) the freeze or how long it lasts as just after it the updates come on in again without a perceived break or having to do anything for the new release.

Truly rolling would be great. Do you have a link to the discussion?

The main issue is that during the freeze period developers should test for the next but most devs run unstable.

Comment

Originally posted by 9Strike View Post

Can you point me to that statement then? I would be highly confused it that would be the case, because the kernel is extermenly easy to replace. They even just could have used Liquorix, which has repositories for Debian.

SteamOS <2 was designed as "Couch OS", with no desktop in mind, and that's one reason why it failed. While yes sure the new SteamOS is also for the Deck, I'm certain that they also want to make sure to not make the mistake of a "bad" desktop experience* again.

* bad in comparison to a desktop experience for a typical Windows gaming setup.
          https://www.pcgamer.com/au/this-is-w...ecks-linux-os/

The changes that are being referenced in the article are Valve's contribution to the kernel/mesa/graphics stack

Afaik Valve hasn't been doing any real updates or changes to KDE, their primary and critical focus is getting 100% of their games to be compatible.

As stated with the article if the kernel is as easy to replace as you imply they wouldn't have bothered, but they specifically changed to arch because its a rolling release distro and they just found it easier to work with all of the contributions they have been committing upstream into the kernel (i.e. futex, changes to esync, AMD driver changes etc etc).
          Last edited by mdedetrich; 11 January 2022, 03:23 AM.

Comment

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/this-is-w...ecks-linux-os/

The changes that are being referenced in the article are Valve's contribution to the kernel/mesa/graphics stack

Afaik Valve hasn't been doing any real updates or changes to KDE, their primary and critical focus is getting 100% of their games to be compatible.

As stated with the article if the kernel is as easy to replace as you imply they wouldn't have bothered, but they specifically changed to arch because its a rolling release distro and they just found it easier to work with all of the contributions they have been committing upstream into the kernel (i.e. futex, changes to esync, AMD driver changes etc etc).
            A) The quote from the Valve dev does not mention the kernel, but overall OS updates, which is exactly what I said.

B) The kernel and Mesa are super easy to replace on Debian. Have you tried it? No? Then don't write bullshit.

Comment

Working...
            X