No announcement yet.

Canonical Hiring For An Ubuntu Linux Desktop Gaming Product Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t understand all the negativity around Ubuntu. I use Linux since 2014. Tryed many different distro’s. Ubuntu gives me by far the best exp with the least issues out of the box. The packages are a bit outdated, but work pretty stable most of the times. I hope this direction from Ubuntu wil improve gaming situation!

Comment

Thanks to Valve, the Linux gaming reference plateforme will now become one : SteamOS 3. Period.
      Nobody will care if games work or not somewhere else and it’s a good thing. For once in the Linux world, efforts won’t be wasted across a million distros and their million isolated issues.

If I was a Linux gamer, I would just go Arch and that’s it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        I think they fear lossing users by valves shift from debian to arch. Besides ubuntu is less present amongst gamers for the reasons written in the article.
        It seems so.
        This is a good news and a bad news the same time.
        On one side "competition stimulates business".
        But for all who don't like a divided Linux community and hoped, that with SteamOS 3 comes the standard Linux Distro for gaming, ... for all them the hope is now lost.

Comment

Snap! Now all games are snaps. Each comes with its own version of wine or proton and mesa with all the fixes

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

It seems so.
            But for all who don't like a divided Linux community and hoped, that with SteamOS 3 comes the standard Linux Distro for gaming, ... for all them the hope is now lost.
            Why? What difference does it make that they've switched to Arch based ? Surely if more and more are using arch and valve has now done the same thats a good thing!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I don't blame them. Laser focus on the Linux desktop was what almost bankrupted them.
              Last time I checked the history books focus on the desktop is what made them big in the first place, and they losing the first position as the "default" linux desktop distro has to do with them engaging in shenanigans like dropping 32bit support.

I have always been a Debian/Ubuntu diehard but thanks to Canonical idiotic policies and silly unasked endeavors such as Snaps I started toying with Arch and guess what? I'm evaluating replacing Ubuntu in my living room gaming machine... and gasp... deploying it in my home server.

Comment

Originally posted by pete910 View Post

Why? What difference does it make that they've switched to Arch based ? Surely if more and more are using arch and valve has now done the same thats a good thing!
                All I have to add to that is that Arch is great and Valve is 100% justified to jump ship. Canonical shot themselves in both feet.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

All I have to add to that is that Arch is great and Valve is 100% justified to jump ship. Canonical shot themselves in both feet.
                  To be honest this was my thought too , And has been for a long while now.

Comment

It seems so.
                    Competition stimulate business … when there is a business. At 1 percent market share, competition just wastes efforts. When you are so weak, it’s unified efforts that works. Competition later…

Comment

It seems so.
                      Fragmentation issues don't affect games the same as fragmentation affects regular desktop apps, games with Steam/Proton all work mostly isolated from the system and use a compatibility environment almost from the beginning. My games run flawlessly both in Ubuntu 18.04/20.04 and Arch.

IMHO What Valve should focus on is making games work 100% on their distro, once games run fine on that given distro it is trivial to see what they have done and reproduce it in another.

If games run 100% on SteamOS 3 and don't in Ubuntu, guess what? We'll use SteamOS/Arch, Linux's best strength is that no one can control the platform, it is either the "linux's user market" agrees or things don't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X