Canonical Hiring For An Ubuntu Linux Desktop Gaming Product Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Linux gaming, yeah right. It's not April 1st yet... no one cares.
    share your discovery with valve asap

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      It's crazy how many people who don't use Ubuntu or care about the ecosystem flood these threads. You guys are distractors. Who whine a lot. And provide zero solutions. The act is old. Leave that shit in 2021.

edit: Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais joke about Twitter where he uses guitar lessons as an analogy. Same usual suspects also. Like Canonical slept with their girlfriend or something. Can't make sense of it.
      I'm mostly an Ubuntu user, I game on Ubuntu and it could shine with little interest and effort, all it needs is to pack modern Mesa and more recent Kernel IE: Kisak mesa fresh, Liquorix Kernel and modern Firmware package.

I will never understand why the LTS desktop edition of Ubuntu provides with an up-to-date copy of browsers but not Mesa/Kernel/Firmware.

I started toying with Arch after the 32bit debacle in case Canonical wouldn't come to their senses. And guess what? Arch is great and lately I have been thinking to jump ship. Canonical is its own worse enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        Thanks to Valve, the Linux gaming reference plateforme will now become one : SteamOS 3. Period.
        Nobody will care if games work or not somewhere else and it’s a good thing. For once in the Linux world, efforts won’t be wasted across a million distros and their million isolated issues.

If I was a Linux gamer, I would just go Arch and that’s it.
        steam isolates games from os, they'll work on other distros just as well

Comment

It's crazy how many people who don't use Ubuntu or care about the ecosystem flood these threads. You guys are distractors. Who whine a lot. And provide zero solutions. The act is old. Leave that shit in 2021.

edit: Reminds me of the Ricky Gervais joke about Twitter where he uses guitar lessons as an analogy. Same usual suspects also. Like Canonical slept with their girlfriend or something. Can't make sense of it.
          I guess it has to do with this being an american and quite technical website. In my opinion there is a rather clear bias towards anything American here, which IBM/RedHat/Fedora happens to be. Then, Canonical/Ubuntu is their biggest competitor in the Linux world, and also they have a very opposite, much more pragmatic vision, Canonical being user-oriented, while IBM/Red Hat are developer-oriented. This fits the rather technical profile of readers here on 2 key elements.
          If you read a non-American website with a lesser technical focus, you won't see that much hate.
          For all the years I've been reading Phoronix, I'm pretty sure it's something along these lines.
          Last edited by Mez'; 02 January 2022, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

I'm mostly an Ubuntu user, I game on Ubuntu and it could shine with little interest and effort, all it needs is to pack modern Mesa and more recent Kernel IE: Kisak mesa fresh, Liquorix Kernel and modern Firmware package.

I will never understand why the LTS desktop edition of Ubuntu provides with an up-to-date copy of browsers but not Mesa/Kernel/Firmware.

I started toying with Arch after the 32bit debacle in case Canonical wouldn't come to their senses. And guess what? Arch is great and lately I have been thinking to jump ship. Canonical is its own worse enemy.
            That's like saying GNOME doesn't allow customizations because it's not included and/or enabled by default. That's why the offer extensions with the ability to turn them on and off. And you can make your own if something is not suitable.

Newer Mesa is not that big of an issue anymore. It's not Mesa v17. At some point they have to freeze a stable version. And then that version keeps getting incremental updates. If you want newer Mesa, you go with a PPA. Kisak PPA, oibaf PPA, ernst PPA.

For the kernel, they have the HWE version. I don't use it, I build my own. But the options are there.

Snap is the only thing extremely questionable and I agree with everyone. But they've improved on that. I have no problem with Firefox being a snap by default. Do I want it as a snap by default? Absolutely not. But I can change that. If I have to change one or two or three things that I prefer over how Ubuntu thinks it should be rolled out, so be it.

So many people distro hop every week instead of taking a solid distro and just building on that. Making backups in case anything goes wrong. And incrementally improving.

The solutions are out there; I just think people don't want to hear them or enjoy complaining. Not talking about you, just in general.

Comment

Should I get the Apple Max, Apple Max S, or Apple Max S Pro?

Shit is all confusing. I think a twice a year system (.04/.10) is working great. I run 21.10 on my desktops, 21.04 LTS on my MBP that I need the 5.4 kernel and 2025 support.

I think everyone is truly overcomplicating this. In all facets of life, but especially when it comes to Ubuntu and the Linux desktop. Not talking about you skeeevy, just in general.
              The Surface Pro with Hackintosh.

I can't say I disagree. The amount of variables and choices can be overwhelming. Even now I'm deciding between reaper, ghost, or scorpion pepper power to go on my everything bagel. I think I'll go with scorpion since I had ghost and reaper the past 4 days.

I think that a lot of Ubuntu's problems stem from them following Debian's lead. Trying to get and keep new stuff running on an older OS is one of the reasons I left Ubuntu back in the day and that's all that this job offer is for. I pity the person who takes that job. I reckon 7 of my first 10 Linux years were on Ubuntu and the last few kind of sucked. Keeping up with the gamers was just a different form of dependency hell on an OS not really designed for that.

At some point I had to realize that trying to keep Debian or Ubuntu updated with cherry picked packages and builds to cover my gaming needs made little sense when distributions existed that had all those packages by default. IMHO, they need to realize that, too, and tweak themselves accordingly. My idea and/or names might not be the best, but it both trims the fat and focuses on modern and enterprise with a way to bridge the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                From there they need to cut down the insane number of releases to reduce user fragmentation. Just have one LTS release done every 6-10 years to cover users who have actual long-term needs. Instead of .10 releases for interim release testing make an equivalent to CentOS Stream. Lots of releases and editions muck things up
                Currently there are 5 actively supported Ubuntu releases (if ignoring those with extended support). Your suggestion would realistically need 5 releases too - the LTS versions and standard production versions commonly need a support period overlap, even Fedora continues to keep some kind of support for the previous version for everyone to have time to migrate from a supported release N-1 to a supported release N.

Comment

I am astonished at the number of noxious comments. Maybe it escaped my attention that the word "comment" has possibly changed to "poison."

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Many existing issues could be ascribed to this. To be useful and attractive to gamers, especially those who use open source GPU drivers and the latest hardware, the distribution needs a quick update cycle and recent software. Some sort of tested, semi-rolling update cycle (perhaps sort of like openSUSE Tumbleweed but with a slower and more regular update rate) would be ideal.

Nowadays if I were to suggest a distribution for gamers or enthusiasts who don't want to spend too much time with maintenance and tinkering but still want to be (almost) on the bleeding-edge I would probably suggest Fedora Linux. There are even different "spins" for those who can't palate Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post

It seems so.
                      This is a good news and a bad news the same time.
                      On one side "competition stimulates business".
                      But for all who don't like a divided Linux community and hoped, that with SteamOS 3 comes the standard Linux Distro for gaming, ... for all them the hope is now lost.
                      Yeah. That would be smart. So smart. Having a distro for gaming and another one for work. Now if there only was an operating systems which supports both...

Comment

Working...
                      X