No announcement yet.

KDE/GNOME Wayland vs. X.Org Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing benchmarks like those without writing if compositing was active makes them pretty useless.
    But hey, at least we know that the tested closed source games run on a system with GCC 11.2.0 + Clang 13.0.0-2 installed.
    Last edited by kokoko3k; 29 December 2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

What are you, delusional? Stutter? I don't see it on wayland. However, i easily find it on x, like when playing a video. Low FPS? You must be making that up, like have you read the article?

I've been using wayland over a year, never have any problem you mentioned. Both on arch and fedora
      I think you are the delusional here.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      are you suggesting you are cursed?
      XWayland are cursed, not me.

Comment

Just tried today.
        Still have better perf on Openbox standalone (Xorg) than Gnome 41.2 (Wayland).
        Got "similiar" config : Ryzen 5900X & AMD 6900 XT Red Devil + 32Go DDR4 3600 Mhz

I stay on Openbox standalone atm. But Gnome is very pleasant now, i didn't try it since a long time and i have good feeling with it. I keep it to try again later.

Comment

Michael I really enjoyed this article, next time could we include Gamescope?

Comment

Originally posted by plasticbomb1986 View Post

Could the both of you at least mention which amd GPU are you talking about?
            here on phoronix? k... pretty sure it happened back with my polaris 8gb, and then on 5700 non-xt. some weird frame timing stuff goes utterly haywire under wayland, least with proton. amd cpu, no igfx. pretty sure i had wiped the systems once or twice in that span too. i can't remember how many things i tried, but even after some direct scanout fix in sway i don't think i was ever able to get frame pacing to look like anything above 12fps. avg was probably -20% of what i got on xorg, but pacing makes it look far worse.

EDIT: never tried gnome, but i despise that environment. thank God for the fractured linux ecosystem
            Last edited by doomie; 30 December 2021, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
              EDIT: never tried gnome, but i despise that environment. thank God for the fractured linux ecosystem
              Ha ha, isn't that kind of like 'I really hate chocolate, but I've never tried it?' There are great/less than great things about having so much choice. Granted the main issue is usually getting commercial application support, as they always have to decide which desktop toolkit to use... not to mention packaging etc.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Ha ha, isn't that kind of like 'I really hate chocolate, but I've never tried it?' There are great/less than great things about having so much choice. Granted the main issue is usually getting commercial application support, as they always have to decide which desktop toolkit to use... not to mention packaging etc.
                no, i meant i've never tried gnome for this specific use-case with this specific graphics stack to see if it also suffers from this specific issue. if i hadn't tried gnome at all i'd never say that i despise it, but i have tried it and i do despise it. gnome 2 was alright
                Last edited by doomie; 01 January 2022, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Well I have some extremely interesting results for Gnome on Wayland and BSPWM on Xorg on Garuda. Here's the video. Both games same settings, same kernel, drivers and env vars.

Comment

Working...
                  X