KDE/GNOME Wayland vs. X.Org Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ireri View Post

Would be great if I could use it for everything already! But alas, it is not ready yet, so in the meantime X.Org…
    Wayland is ready. You'll never be able to do everything in Wayland if applications that need to support Wayland don't support Wayland. It's not a matter of Wayland not being ready. With the addition of XWayland, which was used for all of the software in this benchmark, the vast majority of applications run in a Wayland session. I don't mean like 80%, I mean 99.999%.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

Would be great if I could use it for everything already! But alas, it is not ready yet, so in the meantime X.Org…
      Just in time:

Affected version OS: ArchLinux (latest as of 2020.10.07) Mutter: 3.38.1 Session: Wayland GPU / driver: AMD...

Or maybe it's a different issue..
      Last edited by Volta; 28 December 2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        These are games, I would expect compositing to go away the minute I switch to full screen. Or does Michael test them in windowed mode?
        Gnome afair unredirects every fullscreen window by default and Proton tells KWin to suspend compositing, but often it is not reliable. I've played Hitman 2 for hours on Plasma Xorg and there definitely is no performance hit whatsoever when compositing is really suspended/disabled (can be manually toggled for KWin Xorg). It also doesn't make much sense that some games would be more affected than others by the different display servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

I already said many times here. Stutter, less FPS than Xorg, vsync enabled everywhere, mouse cursor becomes a shit on games...

This happens in whatever distro I use.

AMD.
          That was my experience with plasma wayland AND sway, though my experiences were a while ago already, and I no longer have that gpu. AMD.

Comment

And what I need to do to play my games with Wayland instead XWayland?
            Wait for wine to finish implementing the necessary patches.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post

That was my experience with plasma wayland AND sway, though my experiences were a while ago already, and I no longer have that gpu. AMD.
              Could the both of you at least mention which amd GPU are you talking about?

Comment

And what I need to do to play my games with Wayland instead XWayland?
                Make sure you have a recent version of SDL, and set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=wayland

No idea if that's better than XWayland or not, though. It's not default yet for a reason.

Comment

Overall executive summary? Linux can be used for game playing now? Indications seem that Wayland may be several percentage points better for games, than the usual X.org displays, for game playing.
                  Most, or some games games work with Xwayland instead. It is unclear from this report how this affects the overall report.
                  Other than games, Linux had many other display factors, not discussed in this comparison of Wayland versus X.org display systems. Gnome, KDE and XFCE are the major desktop environments currently, with Gnome being the most under rapid development and unpredictability. In this report, it shows better performance benchmark results.
                  Other major aspects of the desktop environments are not considered. Multi-monitor adaptivity, adjustments and predictability varies with all desktop environments. This is important of the user is facing changes in hardware, software and user environments.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

Wayland is ready. You'll never be able to do everything in Wayland if applications that need to support Wayland don't support Wayland. It's not a matter of Wayland not being ready. With the addition of XWayland, which was used for all of the software in this benchmark, the vast majority of applications run in a Wayland session. I don't mean like 80%, I mean 99.999%.
                    Who said anything about it being ready or not, I'm not a software developer, I can't care less about Wayand's readiness. If app's devs believe that there are reasons for not switching their work to Wayland, even when the protocol is 100% “ready” (whatever that means, because Wayland doesn't pursue feature parity with X)… Then Wayland and all its readiness is worthless.

Let's be honest, Linux desperately needs Wayland, not for tomorrow or even now, for yesterday! But for all its advantages, it also has some non-trivial disadvantages, is not mere laziness that aside from KDE, very few other have invested in their Wayland support; be it applications, or compatibility layers like Wine or package distribution instruments like AppImage.

Wayland is way away from perfect, but it is what we have if we want HDR or proper multimonitor support, among other today's stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                      Absolutely zero surprises here.
                      Really? I was rather surprised with the results for hitman on KDE, wtf is going on there? Why is it performing so awfully on KDE?

This is so bad it's making me seriously consider switching to another DE.
                      Also I would have liked to see benchmarks done on Sway too since we're working with Wayland environments.

Comment

Working...
                      X