KDE/GNOME Wayland vs. X.Org Radeon Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    I wonder how will kwinft and kwin-lowlatency look in these tests. I think problems with Hitman were because it failed to request compositor to disable for some reasons.
    I was wondering the exact same thing! It'd be nice to add them to this benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      I find it interesting how my experience with Wayland in games is just the opposite of the Phoronix benchmarks, and it's not just about FPS.
      Your/our experience with XWayland. Indeed some games have problems, but it's not pure Wayland experience.
      Last edited by Volta; 28 December 2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Was compositing enabled in XFCE - that is the question. It may incur quite a serious performance loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          Wayland is not only faster, but more secure and power efficient. Eat this xorg fanboys.
          Would be great if I could use it for everything already! But alas, it is not ready yet, so in the meantime X.Org…

Comment

I would be really interested in data of a WLROOTS based wayland compositor (i.e. sway)

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Your/our experience with XWayland. Indeed some games have problems, but it's not pure Wayland experience.
              And what I need to do to play my games with Wayland instead XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                I wonder how will kwinft and kwin-lowlatency look in these tests. I think problems with Hitman were because it failed to request compositor to disable for some reasons.
                Yeah would be fun to see a comparison between kwin-lowlatency vs mutter-performance package.

Comment

It seems like compositing on KDE + x.org and xfce was enabled, hence the slightly lower performance. Don't know if it's possible on xfce, but on KDE you can disable the compositor via Alt + Shift + F12 keyboard shortcut.
                  I tested myself Dirt Rally (its built in benchmark) on KDE 5.22.5 + x.org and also on Gnome 41 + Wayland. The performance was identical.

Comment

I keep wanting to move to Wayland, but I like cinnamon too much.

Comment

Wayland is "ready" for the majority of users. its just a matter of when their favourite DE gets support.

Comment

Working...
                      X