Amazon Is Hiring DXVK, Mesa & Proton Linux Developers For Luna Cloud Gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon Is Hiring DXVK, Mesa & Proton Linux Developers For Luna Cloud Gaming

Phoronix: Amazon Is Hiring DXVK, Mesa & Proton Linux Developers For Luna Cloud Gaming

Amazon has passed along word that they are hiring for Linux gaming engineers that are experienced in the likes of Valve's DXVK and Proton efforts as well as being experienced with the Mesa open-source graphics drivers, Vulkan, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it looks like year of linux (gaming)desktop

Comment

Stop with this cloud gaming bs!
      We are already dependent enough to renting online services and this is going too far.

A world where our computers are not even belonging to us anymore feels really terrible and frightening.

I wish them the exact same success as Stadia.

Comment

Sounds like Amazon figured they can capitalize on Wine/Proton to make a streaming service. I'm surprised Valve didn't do it before them yet.

But if they'll contribute improvements to the open stack, it's not a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          We are already dependent enough to renting online services and this is going too far.

A world where our computers are not even belonging to us anymore feels really terrible and frightening.

Over Thanksgiving my family was talking about how it basically sucks now that "it'd be great if I could just buy the channels I want" is a thing and that buying the four channels we'd like to watch costs more than an entire cable package before streaming became prominent. It really doesn't help to save money when internet rates increase as dependency on cable decreases.

Comment

But why? After all, Luna is built on Windows..

Comment

Maybe their Windows license is over, or they don't want to switch to Win 11.

Comment

That just put a crazy idea in my head. If it really happens, remember that I said it first:

Amazon will buy Stadia.

(I'm joking, of course, but given that Luna is not only using Windows, but also running on nVidia hardware, it is at least interesting that they mention Mesa, which hints at anything except nVidia... Stadia, on the other hand, is running on AMD hardware...)

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Don't worry, they will all fail!
                  The laws of physics protects us from this software as a service crap!
                  The latency will always be too high no matter how much money they throw at it.
                  Some of us plan to upgrade to 120-240 Hz monitors to get better latency and these guys trying to sell us streamed games...

Comment

For poorer areas streaming can be an option, because it's cheap and easy . For hardcore players PC or console will be still needed

Comment

Working...
                    X