Wine's Wayland Driver Continues Maturing, Aims To Go Through Wine-Staging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine's Wayland Driver Continues Maturing, Aims To Go Through Wine-Staging

Phoronix: Wine's Wayland Driver Continues Maturing, Aims To Go Through Wine-Staging

While it won't make it for the upcoming Wine 7.0, the Wayland driver for natively supporting this X11 successor continues maturing and in the not too distant future will hopefully begin receiving more widespread testing via Wine-Staging...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm excited for this progress. 2 big things I think Wayland can fix up to get feature parity with both X and with Windows/Mac are:

1. XWayland DPI Scaling properly: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/...e_requests/733
    2. Wayland Color Management (Required for HDR. Not supported on X but it is supported on Win and OSX): https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayla...ge_requests/14
    Last edited by Mitch; 10 December 2021, 03:18 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

I can't wait to see how wine/dxvk games will perform on a X11less setup, too bad it won't be ready for Wine 7 release though

Comment

tested and not work for me well

kde plasma + gbm + nvidia 495.44 (4K, scaled 150%)

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
          I can't wait to see how wine/dxvk games will perform on a X11less setup, too bad it won't be ready for Wine 7 release though
          What kind of problems are you seeing with gaming on X11?

Personally I just recently played through "Batman - Arkham Knight" (of course with https://sherief.fyi/post/arkham-quixote/) on Xubuntu 20.04 LTS with the compositor deactivated & in-game Vsync enabled.

The result?

Absolutely smooth!
          I.e. I had a blast!!

Therefore I wonder how Wayland could improve upon this in any shape or form?

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
            i'm kinda hesitant because discord won't work in most games. since most games run via wine / proton. discord is still a xwayland. not wayland native. its keybinds don't work outside xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
              i'm kinda hesitant because discord won't work in most games. since most games run via wine / proton. discord is still a xwayland. not wayland native. its keybinds don't work outside xwayland.
              Discord supports Wayland but needs to be run with the typical variables to run Electron applications in Wayland. It also doesn't support Pipewire properly because it uses its own capture prompt. It supports it in a browser though.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
                This is a failure to understand the problem space. Lets say I have discord using xwayland and a game running side gamescope and also inside xwayland. Sorry you have two instances of xwayland in this case so X11 keyboard snooping to make a global short is still dead.

Yes steam is more and more wrapping gamescope around their games so by proton. This means under Wayland the odds of discord using xwayland having global short cut work by old X11 snoop the keyboard is coming more of a long odds move because of per application xwayland instances.

Yes its perfectly in Wayland composers rights to start a xwayland instance per application as well. The reality here wine using Wayland backend in future will basically change nothing because even if wine remained using X11 backend the problem you talked about is still going to happen to wayland users with discord. Only solution is a proper global short cut handling interface.

Yes we have like kde kglobalaccel that if X11 or Wayland application uses it they have working global short cut. Also picks up if two applications attempt register the same global shortcut at the same time by kglobalaccel.

Yes there is a need to move away from the old X11 way of doing global short cuts. Yes running X11 x.org server with xace turned on also results in discord way of doing global short cuts being non functional.

Yes KDE applications using kglobalaccel and being X11 applications running on xwayland still get keyboard short cuts when a non xwayland or not the same instance xwayland application is running.

I would like to see proper xdg-portal standard for a item like kglobalaccel.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  What kind of problems are you seeing with gaming on X11?
                  xwayland or session restart just to switch between gaming/nongaming

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    Therefore I wonder how Wayland could improve upon this in any shape or form?
                    It'd be nice if running a game at 1080p left the desktop in it's native 1440p resolution.

Comment

Working...
                    X