Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blender 3.0 Shines As A Huge Update For This Leading Open-Source 3D Modeling Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Blender even take advantage of Nvidiat ray-tracing cores? Given their garbage relation to FLOSS I doubt it.
    Are ray-tracing cores exposed outside of DX12?
    On the recently deployed 3.0 release notes "Hardware ray-tracing for baking with NVIDIA OptiX"
    Last edited by Maxzor; 03 December 2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxzor View Post
      Can Blender even take advantage of Nvidiat ray-tracing cores? Given their garbage relation to FLOSS I doubt it.
      Are ray-tracing cores exposed outside of DX12?
      On the recently deployed 3.0 release notes "Hardware ray-tracing for baking with NVIDIA OptiX"
      Yes, RTX cores can be used for rendering via OptiX in Blender. Using raytracing features is also possible in Vulkan, so it's not limited to Direct3D 12.

Comment

Dropping OpenCL means that there will be no HW accel on upcoming Intel discrete GPUs. Hopefully Intel steps up and adds OpenCL support back in.

Comment

hopefully they add support for CyclesX using Vulkan compute shaders to render...waay more portable than either CUDA or HIP

https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/08rL/
          Last edited by programmerjake; 03 December 2021, 03:23 PM. Reason: add link to idea

Comment

Blender 3.1 has a release date of March 9, 2022.
            Lets see then how well it performs and how hard or easy it is to get working running the open driver with AMD hardware on [favorite distribution].

Comment

Does AMD HIP work on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by gsedej View Post
                Does AMD HIP work on windows?
                yes it does work there

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post
                  hopefully they add support for CyclesX using Vulkan compute shaders to render...waay more portable than either CUDA or HIP

https://blender.community/c/rightclickselect/08rL/
                  Yeah, I have no idea how HIP is supposed to even work, but I've had working stable Vulkan drivers on every device I own for years now.

Comment

Wow, looks like the excessive compute kernel compile times are gone. Also, OptiX now seems to be faster than CUDA also with less complex scenes. It's crazy low 2.4s for the RyzenGraphic_27.blend on RTX 3060.

Comment

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
                      I am impressed how all these young adults have this deep knowledge of Blender
                      Blender keeps breaking its Python API. So none of the older guys can be arsed with it anymore. They leave it to the next generation to have fun with.

Myself, I gutted an old Quake III level editor just so I don't need to touch a Blender since 2.4. I also wrote my own lightmap baker in C++ to go with that Quake 3 level editor. Blender broke/removed the internal "Blender Render" (terrible visuals but great for fast lightmap generation).

Comment

Working...
                      X