Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Marketshare Edges Tiny Bit Higher In November

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Marketshare Edges Tiny Bit Higher In November

With the beginning of a new month comes updated Steam Survey results from Valve for the month prior. The Steam on Linux marketshare continues increasing albeit ever so slightly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for the big increase after the Steam Deck hits the stores!
    Bright future for Linux gaming...
    Last edited by tildearrow; 01 December 2021, 08:58 PM.

Comment

I was thinking the exact same thing tildearrow, will be interesting to see this number skyrocket (maybe 2%!) with the drop of the steam deck hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        If the percentage reaches the same as MacOS, it will be a miracle.

Otherwise, I have my doubts about this percentage, since Linux users are totally averse to telemetry because of "muuhh my freedoms and privacy", because if a developer implements telemetry in the software to improve the software and obtain information about of the systems that this software is running on, is because there's hands from the FBI, NSA, China and the aliens on this.

Comment

I plan on installing Steam OS upon release. I may wait a week or a month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

If the percentage reaches the same as MacOS, it will be a miracle.
            I'm surprised mac numbers are even that high. At least linux has proton now, macs just have seemingly useless mac os for gaming. Maybe they just get all the 2D hentai games...

Comment

Originally posted by mikus View Post

I'm surprised mac numbers are even that high. At least linux has proton now, macs just have seemingly useless mac os for gaming. Maybe they just get all the 2D hentai games...
              Civilization VI alone could account for 2% market share on macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                The Deck is, unfortunately, not shipping in Xbox/PS like volumes. Given the estimated number of Deck preorders, and how far back those preorders go, it would take many months (or some years) for SD sales to double linux's Steam usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
                  Otherwise, I have my doubts about this percentage, since Linux users are totally averse to telemetry because of "muuhh my freedoms and privacy", because if a developer implements telemetry in the software to improve the software and obtain information about of the systems that this software is running on, is because there's hands from the FBI, NSA, China and the aliens on this.
                  Steam is different, because it's telemetry in the package manager, rather than the individual applications.

We trust that more since that's where telemetry on what's getting installed belongs, and there's one centralized place to evaluate the trustworthiness of, rather than a million little people who might want to make an extra buck off shady ad-targeting partners.

Same as how Flatpak is more trustworthy than having every application come bundled with its own Firejail launcher script.
                  Last edited by ssokolow; 02 December 2021, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 16.42% -0.45%
                    "Manjaro Linux" 12.94% +1.11%
                    "Arch Linux" 12.11% +0.54%
                    Pop!_OS 21.04 7.31% -0.68%
                    Linux Mint 20.2 7.04% +0.40%
                    Ubuntu 21.10 5.42% +5.42%
                    Description:Freedesktop.org 21.08.4 (Flatpak runtime) 4.38% -0.90%
                    Linux 5.x 4.30% +4.30%
                    Other 30.07% -4.28%

Comment

Working...
                    X