Steam On Linux Marketshare Edges Tiny Bit Higher In November

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

If the percentage reaches the same as MacOS, it will be a miracle.

Otherwise, I have my doubts about this percentage, since Linux users are totally averse to telemetry because of "muuhh my freedoms and privacy", because if a developer implements telemetry in the software to improve the software and obtain information about of the systems that this software is running on, is because there's hands from the FBI, NSA, China and the aliens on this.

BS.

Valve knows perfectly well the exact number of Linux gamers. when you download a vidya game from their servers, they have to serve you the Linux version if you are a Linux user, or at least serve you a Proton runtime. They know the number of accounts that do that. It is not rocket science and doesn't need a survey.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
      If the percentage reaches the same as MacOS, it will be a miracle.
      It shouldn't be that hard, actually.

Apple actively doesn't want to be in the gaming arena. This was made perfectly clear with their moves with the Metal API. Now it's one thing for Apple to go all walled garden and come up with their own way of doing things but they didn't just go that far. They actively excluded Vulkan. They could have chosen to be conciliatory and while favoring Metal as a first class citizen, they could have made a nice warm cozy apartment off to the side for Vulkan. They didn't. They threw Vulkan out into the alley like the garbage that they think it is and didn't even wait for breakfast to conclude. The situation right now is that it is up to external forces in the form of MoltenVK to get Vulkan working on Macs. Apple has washed their hands of that mess.

The message being sent from Apple corporate couldn't be more clear what they think of gaming and gamers.

And to my knowledge nvidia cards are completely unsupported. That might also clarify the same message a bit.
      Last edited by ezst036; 02 December 2021, 03:07 AM.

Comment

So PopOS lost some its Steam users after the LTT video/libadwaita drama ?

Comment

When you see this (for Linux Only),
          AVX2
          74.35%
          +36.38%

SHA 37.44%
          +18.71%

You instantly understand that Linux stats are finicky as hell and most likely people come to test it and then forget about it right away.

And despite AMD being the favourite among most vocal Phoronix users, absolute most Linux users still use NVIDIA exclusively. AMD, outside of few odd entries, is nowhere to be seen.
          Last edited by avem; 02 December 2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Steam Linux GPU stats:

Comment

Originally posted by avem View Post
              When you see this (for Linux Only),
              AVX2
              74.35%
              +36.38%

SHA 37.44%
              +18.71%
              If you took a look at the macOS survey you could observe the same (AVX2 51.98% +31.85%, SHA 5.12% +3.12%). I think Steam wasn't surveying for AVX2 and SHA on Linux/macOS until recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post
                Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS 16.42% -0.45%
                "Manjaro Linux" 12.94% +1.11%
                "Arch Linux" 12.11% +0.54%
                Pop!_OS 21.04 7.31% -0.68%
                Linux Mint 20.2 7.04% +0.40%
                Ubuntu 21.10 5.42% +5.42%
                Description:Freedesktop.org 21.08.4 (Flatpak runtime) 4.38% -0.90%
                Linux 5.x 4.30% +4.30%
                Other 30.07% -4.28%
                It's interesting that so many people choose Ubuntu LTS over the latest version despite 21.10 should be better for gaming in general. Or, maybe they mostly use Nvidia and then it might not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

It's interesting that so many people choose Ubuntu LTS over the latest version despite 21.10 should be better for gaming in general. Or, maybe they mostly use Nvidia and then it might not matter.
                  Why? Even 20.04 gets its HWE stack which means it is not lagging behind "terribly" - you are on Mesa 21.0.3, kernel 5.11, the latest AMD firmware update arrived in October. Anyway, I assume most 20.04 gamers will just have the Kisak PPA in place which gives you the latest Mesa drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post

Why? Even 20.04 gets its HWE stack which means it is not lagging behind "terribly" - you are on Mesa 21.0.3, kernel 5.11, the latest AMD firmware update arrived in October. Anyway, I assume most 20.04 gamers will just have the Kisak PPA in place which gives you the latest Mesa drivers.
                    Plus anyone who is really eager can immediately install the "HWE-edge" stack, which already puts 20.04 LTS on-par with what is shipping in 21.10.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Not that surprising considering the LTS version is served as the standard download on the Ubuntu site, so that's what most people will download. There is this notion lately that "Linux gamers" are some kind of special technological gurus who know their way around computers and OSs, but in reality I've found that most of them are usually nothing more than your average clueless Windows drone trying out Linux because a youtuber or redditor suggested so.

And I don't mean this in a bad way, it's just that expecting them to go out of their way and download something other than what is offered by default (and which they've probably read about as part of a how-to guide) is probably a bit too much.

EDIT: And as I've only just now learned by reading the two comments posted before I posted mine, there are also established solutions by the community to ameliorate the fact that one is using an Ubuntu LTS (which doesn't surprise me really).
                      Last edited by Nocifer; 02 December 2021, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X