X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
    Don't confuse Vulkan validation layer(s) with Vulkan extensions. Features are added thru the latter, while the former is for debugging.
    That's simply wrong. Vulkan layers can be used for overriding and augmenting features. They aren't limited to debugging by any means.

Case in point - something like VkBasalt is a Vulkan layer: https://github.com/DadSchoorse/vkBasalt

So I wonder why can't FSR work in a similar fashion.
    Last edited by shmerl; 30 November 2021, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post

How does FSR work for games as an external feature, is it a Vulkan layer?
    Possibly by adding it to gamescope? Applying FSR after the UI/etc. bits are added isn't ideal, but probably better than nothing.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied

Don't confuse Vulkan validation layer(s) with Vulkan extensions. Features are added thru the latter, while the former is for debugging.

A tutorial that teaches you everything it takes to render 3D graphics with the Vulkan API. It covers everything from Windows/Linux setup to rendering and debugging.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Interesting, but it seems to be Proton only? Vulkan layer still probably would be the only really portable solution that can work for all games including native ones (well, except OpenGL ones).

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied

I have to sleep. You can look at these:

AMD FSR Can Be Applied to (Almost) All Vulkan Games via Proton’s FSHack

Here’s How To Get AMD FSR Running In Any Game Using Lossless Scaling Tool

While the technology can be implemented within a day or two in any AAA game, there are certain older games that developers no longer support. For those titles, programmers have built specially designed tools that can inject the AMD FSR scaler for almost similar performance & image quality. The most commonly used tool is Magpie which injects the spatial upsampling technique in almost any game title you could think of but users have been reporting issues such as stuttering and input delays when using it.

Leave a comment:

• gfunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Ubuntu combined with their officially supported & QA'ed "lowlatency" kernel flavor already makes for a far more gaming-optimized Linux experience than what any of the other enterprise-grade distros are providing.
    I didn't know Valve had a kernel available, I did try a low-latency kernel in the past and got +5fps in games but noticed general lag when using the computer for other tasks.. Not sure what version the valve kernel is but gamers like to use the latest kernel, latest mesa, latest everything else which I'm not sure Ubuntu LTS fully accommodates

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by jaxa View Post
    My understanding is that FSR doesn't work too well (visually) at lower resolutions. 720p would be a stretch. Although it would increase performance.

Leave a comment:

• bple2137
    replied
    So what is mounted as R/W, /home?
    at least /home, /var maybe something more like some overlays, but that should pretty much cover it.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by gfunk View Post
    Wonder if valve will only support SteamOS moving forward, saw the other day this guy saying they only officially support ubuntu 20.04 LTS.. which no actual gamers use probably, and I wouldn't want to install SteamOS as my main distro as its too use case specific
    Ubuntu combined with their officially supported & QA'ed "lowlatency" kernel flavor already makes for a far more gaming-optimized Linux experience than what any of the other enterprise-grade distros are providing.

Leave a comment:

• jaxa
    replied
    Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
    Having FSR out of the box would be one hell of a feature. It's said it will deplete battery slightly faster, but you can certainly run more exigent games using it.
    My understanding is that FSR doesn't work too well (visually) at lower resolutions. 720p would be a stretch. Although it would increase performance.

AMD is going to make improvements to FSR (like how DLSS is now 2.3) so maybe Valve is waiting on that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X