Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Godot 4.0 Progressing On Its Multiplayer Capabilities

Phoronix: Godot 4.0 Progressing On Its Multiplayer Capabilities

In addition to Vulkan support and a lot of graphics renderer work happening for Godot 4.0, adding to the expansive feature list is improved multi-player capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before the question "any good open-source games made with Godot"

Find games made with Godot like Terror Gnome, Project Kat, Assessment Examination, Magic Archery, HELP! NO BRAKE on itch.io, the indie game hosting marketplace

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      So where are the links to games that are actually good?

ba dum tss

Comment

So the wait for Godot is over?

Sorry, can't help it.

Comment

Ive always pondered about getting into game development since I was a kid, never did commitment issues lol, but godot looks pretty simple, but quite powerful at the same time. its cool to see the progression of it, even not being related to game development.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Ive always pondered about getting into game development since I was a kid, never did commitment issues lol, but godot looks pretty simple, but quite powerful at the same time. its cool to see the progression of it, even not being related to game development.
            Apparently it was used with NDA'd patches for the Switch port of Commander Keen Dreams and the iOS and PS4 ports of Deponia and it was also used for Sonic Colors: Ultimate, something which came out when an article basically said "Not only are various Sonic Colors: Ultimate ports relying on a glitchy emulator to achieve the porting, they used Godot without complying with the MIT license's attribution requirement."

From what I've read and watched and what I've seen comparing my brother's experience developing a 2D hobby game in Unity to my experience developing a 2D hobby game in Godot, it's certainly better than Unity for 2D stuff because it treats 2D as a first-class citizen with things like pixel units, rather than expecting you to reinvent papering over the warts of naively using a 3D engine in orthographic mode to do 2D rendering.

Here's a devlog where a hobbyist dev decides to get a feel for Godot's systems and design idioms by spending a week porting as much of 6 months of Unity development to it as possible.

Bear in mind that most of the things he mentioned as dislikes for Godot (eg. the shortcomings in the built-in tilemap editor) are explicit targets for improvement in 4.0 or a following 4.x-series release like 4.1 and have been the subject of various 4.x devlogs on the Godot website, such as this one.
            Last edited by ssokolow; 28 November 2021, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Don't know anything about Godot, but I'm digging the new article images, it's a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Apparently it was used with NDA'd patches for the Switch port of Commander Keen Dreams and the iOS and PS4 ports of Deponia and it was also used for Sonic Colors: Ultimate, something which came out when an article basically said "Not only are various Sonic Colors: Ultimate ports relying on a glitchy emulator to achieve the porting, they used Godot without complying with the MIT license's attribution requirement."

From what I've read and watched and what I've seen comparing my brother's experience developing a 2D hobby game in Unity to my experience developing a 2D hobby game in Godot, it's certainly better than Unity for 2D stuff because it treats 2D as a first-class citizen with things like pixel units, rather than expecting you to reinvent papering over the warts of naively using a 3D engine in orthographic mode to do 2D rendering.

Here's a devlog where a hobbyist dev decides to get a feel for Godot's systems and design idioms by spending a week porting as much of 6 months of Unity development to it as possible.

Bear in mind that most of the things he mentioned as dislikes for Godot (eg. the shortcomings in the built-in tilemap editor) are explicit targets for improvement in 4.0 or a following 4.x-series release like 4.1 and have been the subject of various 4.x devlogs on the Godot website, such as this one.
                Ill definitely give it a watch when I can, as i read more on godot, I realize just how powerful and user friendly it is. I like both 2D and 3D, so it's pretty cool to hear that sonic colors used it. hopefully they remedied the attribution situation. It would suck for godot to be known as a 2D engine when it has good 3D capabilities. but to hear that they are treating both 2D and 3D with the attention they deserve is great, so often one engine will be good at 3D, suck at 2D or vice versa.

the fact that both sides are getting attention is great. and leaves much excitement for the future, cannot wait to see godot 4.0 come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Ill definitely give it a watch when I can, as i read more on godot, I realize just how powerful and user friendly it is. I like both 2D and 3D, so it's pretty cool to hear that sonic colors used it. hopefully they remedied the attribution situation. It would suck for godot to be known as a 2D engine when it has good 3D capabilities. but to hear that they are treating both 2D and 3D with the attention they deserve is great, so often one engine will be good at 3D, suck at 2D or vice versa.

the fact that both sides are getting attention is great. and leaves much excitement for the future, cannot wait to see godot 4.0 come out.
                  Bear in mind that the Sonic Colors: Ultimate port is probably quite heavily patched. For the 3.x series, Unity unarguably performs better for 3D. I'm guessing they used Godot partly because, as mulitiple benchmarkers have said "I still use Godot and GDScript despite this. It's fast enough for my needs and you can't argue with the ease of use."

For example, though Godot 3.x beats Unity for things like 2D physics, Unity can handle an order of magnitude more rigid bodies in 3D physics. (Bear in mind that the optimizations and support for using the optional static typing as compile-time optimization hints in Godot 4.x may close the observed gap between Godot C# and Godot GDScript implementations of that benchmark.)

Also, because Godot's IDE is written as a Godot application with some extra C++ modules, the toolkit for in-game UI elements is nice enough that various people are also using it to build gamedev applications, such as an ASEprite competitor named Pixelorama and a PBR material creation tool named Material Maker. (Something I wholeheartedly approve of... like how I'm using C to implement what I'd normally use Python for in my DOS retro-hobby project, and WMake for the build automation, so contributors will only need a standard Open Watcom C/C++ install to get involved and it'll work on Windows, Linux, or DPMI-extended DOS. Broadly applicable building blocks for the win.)

However, as this one-year retrospective points out, as far as Godot has come, Unity does still have more learning resources, purely as a network effect, and Godot 3.x doesn't have things like automatic LOD or Vulkan support. (Do watch it, though. It lists pros as well as cons.)

That's why improvements to 3D are such a high priority for Godot 4.x.

Comment

Poke. Poke. Unapproved.

Comment

Working...
                    X