Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Been 9 Years Since Valve Rolled Out The Steam Linux Beta

Phoronix: It's Been 9 Years Since Valve Rolled Out The Steam Linux Beta

Today marks nine years already since Valve began rolling out their Steam Linux beta client after a very exciting summer. While the initial Steam on Linux excitement phased out a bit after Steam Machines didn't materialize, as we approach a decade with Steam on Linux it's easily as exciting as ever thanks to Steam Play / Proton for allowing massive amounts of Windows games to run on Linux and the imminent release of the Steam Deck that has fueled renewed interest around Linux gaming...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Congratulations and thanks to Valve!

With the way things are going right now the 10th anniversary will be quite the party!

Comment

9 year from beta. That could be also 10 years from "I have vision, let's start working on Linux gaming. In ten years, we shake the market", which could be one of the most visionary thing in computers at all. Anyway, cheers
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It looks like they changed approach after the steam machines failed.

They said ok we are gonna step back and invest in Linux infrastructure for a few years. And only after it's a better experience will we try to launch another shiny product.

They also seem to have decided they cannot rely on 3rd party hardware makers, cause although those guys have the experience they don't have the same motivation or strategic goals.

Comment

Super excited about my Steam Decks. I just hope the button placement feels more natural to me than the Steam Controller.

Comment

What Valve has done for Linux really is immeasurable.

I wish they had a direct monthly subscription not tied to any one game or product that I could subscribe to. If Valve had a desktop OS package, I would subscribe immediately. Monthly. Forever.

Comment

Wow this screenshot from the beginnings of steam on Linux... nostalgia.

Comment

Oh I remember that screenshot, blast from the past...

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  If Valve had a desktop OS package, I would subscribe immediately
                  It would spread themselves thin. Also because of their company heritage, where their money comes from, and their expertise they see their role as focused on the 'Linux Gaming ecosystem'.

Maybe for Linux desktop adoption to increase one company should not do it all.
                  Valve will do their specialization gaming.
                  Cannonical, Red Hat and others focus on the desktop experience and workstation related concerns. Plus canvas and support Laptop makers.
                  Then companies like System76 ships laptops and desktops Linux pre-builts.
                  Synergy...

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                  I wish they had a direct monthly subscription not tied to any one game or product that I could subscribe to.
                  Buy games on Steam Linux which run well on Linux, and leave positive reviews, then you are sending money and a positive signal to both Valve and other devs.

Comment

Five fewer years than we've been waiting for Half-Life 3.

Comment

Working...
                    X