Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nintendo Switch Controller Driver Finally Set For Linux 5.16

Phoronix: Nintendo Switch Controller Driver Finally Set For Linux 5.16

After stalling last year when it was queued up in HID's "for-5.10/nintendo" branch only to not make it into HID-next at the time, that threshold has now been crossed with the latest Nintendo Switch controller driver now ready for introduction in Linux 5.16. This open-source driver enables the Nintendo Switch Joy-Con and Pro controllers to work under Linux with a mainline kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How where the Controllers handled prior to this? Just a out of tree driver or another one?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      How where the Controllers handled prior to this? Just a out of tree driver or another one?
      It was working but as a generic controller and not many games recognizes it,for example Dolphin Emulator I was able to map the buttons but in games in Lutris the controller doesn't work,unless you use Steam with Steam Input to mimic a Xbox 360 gamepad.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        Here it is:

Been using it for a little over a year now, it's really great. Switch Pro has become my favorite controller, so this is good news

Comment

Off-topic, I'm planning to buy a generic ~40$ PC joystick (because using the keyboard/mouse sucks, my wrists and fingers hurt), what are the ones supported by Linux? I imagine Logitech?

edit: by "joystick" I mean a fighting/arcade gamepad.
          Last edited by cl333r; 27 October 2021, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
            Off-topic, I'm planning to buy a generic ~40$ PC joystick, what are the ones supported by Linux? I imagine Logitech?
            When you say joystick do you mean a full joystick or a gamepad? In the latter case, 8BitDo makes really great controllers. Can't say I know any flight-sticks in the $40 range tho if that's what you meant.

Comment

Will the kernel driver work with third party PDP contollers?

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                Will the kernel driver work with third party PDP contollers?
                Since third party Nintendo Switch controllers do not use the proprietary nxpad protocol (which Nintendo refuses to license to third parties, according to CTCaer who is well known in the Switch homebrew scene), I wouldn't bet on it. There was an attempt to add HORI support but it never wrapped up, probably due to aforementioned roadblock.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Off-topic, I'm planning to buy a generic ~40$ PC joystick (because using the keyboard/mouse sucks, my wrists and fingers hurt), what are the ones supported by Linux? I imagine Logitech?
                  Joystick as in flight or fighting/arcade? I have an 8-Bitdo controller (Pro 2) and it works just fine under Linux....though I use my Android phone to configure it on Linux and the Windows program on Windows since it doesn't have a Linux native program. I reckon their joysticks should work as well as their controller I own due to their good reviews. That said, the 8bitdo Joystick is $90 so it's "a bit" more than you'd like to spend...but it has a Switch mode so it'll definitely have Linux support (I'm gonna take advantage of that with my Pro 2 for extra profiles since it has Switch mode).

Sounds like you're wanting something to replace your mouse....ever consider an ergonomic mouse? Plenty of those in the 20-40 range on Amazon and they outta just work with most Linux desktop configuration software (like KDE System Settings).

I have a Logitech RPG mouse and I have to use Windows to fully configure it. Linux software only gets it so far while other Logitech hardware works 100%. Just make sure to research Logitech stuff before you buy it for Linux since open solutions may or may not work for all the features they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Joystick as in flight or fighting/arcade? .
                    Fighting/arcade joystick which as I now learned are "gamepads". Back in 1995 I played super nintendo and called those things "joysticks" ever since. Didn't pay attention English makes a distinction. Anyway.
                    Thanks, I think I'm going with Logitech F310 [1] because Walmart and whatnot are not a thing in Eastern Europe. It's not wireless and has a long cord, which is what I want.

[1] https://www.cosmo.md/perefiriya/igro...53-00005828-ru

Comment

Working...
                    X