DXVK-Native 1.9.2a Released For Direct3D-Over-Vulkan With Native Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK-Native 1.9.2a Released For Direct3D-Over-Vulkan With Native Games

Phoronix: DXVK-Native 1.9.2a Released For Direct3D-Over-Vulkan With Native Games

Valve continues embracing DXVK-Native for allowing more of their older games to target Vulkan by using this Direct3D-to-Vulkan translation layer for native games. DXVK-Native 1.9.2a is out with the latest fixes and improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This has potential to become quite the, well, game-changer! (At least some part of the pun fully intended...)

Seriously though, if studios start using this to make their titles run "natively" on the Steam Deck & Linux in general, then I believe these ports do actually stand a chance to perform better than the Windows build; especially so on AMD GPUs in combination with the Linux-exclusive RADV driver!

Now just imagine being able to run the upcoming "God of War" port by Sony on the Steam Deck - suddenly the PSP3 becomes real, and it's actually powered by Linux!

The times we're living in...

Comment

Why not just make new games using only vulkan?

Comment

This is so cool. It basically adds directx support to linux. It would be extremely easier to port big games that choose DX11.

Comment

What is the reason for this being a fork and not included in the upstream since the dev of this is a dev of the base?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
            What is the reason for this being a fork and not included in the upstream since the dev of this is a dev of the base?
            DXVK works inside a Wine prefix. DXVK-Native doesn't require Wine to work. Easiest reason that I can see would be it (and its packages) not having to depend on Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
              directx 11 came out in 2009. You have a ton of developers who have spent over a decade programming with a single api version and know it well. This allows them to continue to program with what they know well. You also have a large library of directx 9, 10, and 11 games that you can now easily make vulkan compatible. You don't have to recode it in vulkan.
              Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              DXVK works inside a Wine prefix. DXVK-Native doesn't require Wine to work. Easiest reason that I can see would be it (and its packages) not having to depend on Wine.
              I can see this being used on windows. As normal dxvk was already working on windows, just not officially supported.

Last edited by middy; 22 October 2021, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Wouldn't that be the same as any project that builds for multiple OS?
                I don't believe DXVK depends on Wine per se, it's just a Windows library, and is usable in pure Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
                  That's the ultimate goal, but for games that are already developed or even released, porting the entire code base over to Vulkan isn't really an option. However, DXVK-Native lets you more or less drop in this library, add a little code to hook it up, and BOOM, DirectX becomes Vulkan on the backend. It's to ease transition when just going over to Vulkan completely isn't really an option.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Wouldn't that be the same as any project that builds for multiple OS?
                    I don't believe DXVK depends on Wine per se, it's just a Windows library, and is usable in pure Windows.
                    Maybe, but the first sentences of the git repos are:

DXVK Native is a port of DXVK to Linux which allows it to be used natively without Wine.
                    A Vulkan-based translation layer for Direct3D 9/10/11 which allows running 3D applications on Linux using Wine.
                    DXVK includes Wine in its dependency list and the build script has checks for Wine too. AFAICT, DXVK on Windows is just copy/pasting the Linux Wine dlls into Windows game folders and crossing our fingers making Wine a build dependency for Windows and a runtime dependency on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X