Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Launches "Steam Deck Verified" Program For Games That Run Well On The Steam Deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Launches "Steam Deck Verified" Program For Games That Run Well On The Steam Deck

Phoronix: Valve Launches "Steam Deck Verified" Program For Games That Run Well On The Steam Deck

Valve is introducing a Steam Deck Verified system for helping gamers find out what games have been verified to work well on their forthcoming AMD+Linux-powered handheld game console...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for the Steam Deck!!
    Too bad it will be long until it reaches South America...

Comment

THERE ya go Valve :3 This + futex2 is how you get ports optimized. This will really help linux users in general. If only I played enough games to warrant not-a-laptop...
      Last edited by doomie; 18 October 2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Last edited by ElectricPrism; 18 October 2021, 03:43 PM.

Comment

I can't imagine they are "reviewing the entire Steam catalog". All popular titles? Sure. But even that is of thousands of titles. According to RPS there was over 30k games (excluding DLC and none-game software) in total as of 2019. Another figure I found suggested that around 10k games were released in 2020.

Yeah there is no way they are testing everything. Especially not thoroughly.

Comment

This doesn't seem to mention native ports, but I did wonder whether Valve would incentivise studios to do native ports, perhaps on the basis that they'd run faster and use less battery power. Still, even this will benefit us on the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
              This doesn't seem to mention native ports, but I did wonder whether Valve would incentivise studios to do native ports, perhaps on the basis that they'd run faster and use less battery power. Still, even this will benefit us on the desktop.
              I'd imagine in addition to "Steam Deck Verified" that would be labeled as "Steam Deck Optimized" (aka SteamOS/Linux)

Comment

Might as well put a penguin logo on the games' Steam pages. I can't believe Steam for Linux came out Feb 2013. Valve has been working or sponsoring on different parts of the graphic stack for a while now (not to mention the people who worked on the stack before Valve came in). Valve deserves so much praise if they can pull this off. I can only imagine the worry that Windows 10S and the various app stores (especially the one on Windows) has caused Valve. To think they have reached independence from the big companies such as Sony, Apple, Google, and of course, Microsoft. All with FOSS code!

Maybe after gaming and gaming tools are more prominent on Linux, more open source titles could come out as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
                  I can't imagine they are "reviewing the entire Steam catalog". All popular titles? Sure. But even that is of thousands of titles. According to RPS there was over 30k games (excluding DLC and none-game software) in total as of 2019. Another figure I found suggested that around 10k games were released in 2020.

Yeah there is no way they are testing everything. Especially not thoroughly.
                  They most likely are gonna use protondb and winedb data, almost all games are rated already

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    Might as well put a penguin logo on the games' Steam pages. I can't believe Steam for Linux came out Feb 2013. Valve has been working or sponsoring on different parts of the graphic stack for a while now (not to mention the people who worked on the stack before Valve came in). Valve deserves so much praise if they can pull this off. I can only imagine the worry that Windows 10S and the various app stores (especially the one on Windows) has caused Valve. To think they have reached independence from the big companies such as Sony, Apple, Google, and of course, Microsoft. All with FOSS code!

Maybe after gaming and gaming tools are more prominent on Linux, more open source titles could come out as well.
                    Where can I download the source code for Steam?

Comment

Working...
                    X