VKD3D-Proton 2.5 Released With Experimental DXR 1.1, More Games working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VKD3D-Proton 2.5 Released With Experimental DXR 1.1, More Games working

Phoronix: VKD3D-Proton 2.5 Released With Experimental DXR 1.1, More Games working

VKD3D-Proton as Valve's Direct3D 12 over Vulkan implementation for Steam Play's Proton is out with a big feature update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds crazy, but on Nvidia, Metro EE runs more smoothly with VKD3D-Proton than native D3D12:
    vkd3d-proton git-master with experimental DXR 1.1 supportproton-ge 6.19-GE-2 (fixes sound)linux 5.15rc-tkg

game stutters poorly with Nvidia D3D12 driver and runs slow vs. VKD3D-Proton, no matter the settings

Also hardly any performance loss vs. native without obs capture. This version is really an impressive achievement.

Comment

Does Proton automatically get the latest VKD3D-Proton package? If not, how can it be found out when this arrives in non-Custom builds of Proton on Steam?

Edit: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/releases mentions when vkd3d-proton gets updated seemingly, and also shows some brief changelogs for Proton Experimental builds.
      Last edited by Guest; 18 October 2021, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Does Proton automatically get the latest VKD3D-Proton package? If not, how can it be found out when this arrives in non-Custom builds of Proton on Steam?
        Proton Experimental gets them very quickly. Since they also regularly deploy fresh git-master builds before new releases, it's more like a seamless transition anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

Edit: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/releases mentions when vkd3d-proton gets updated seemingly, and also shows some brief changelogs for Proton Experimental builds.
          Already pulled into Proton Experimental:
          Compatibility tool for Steam Play based on Wine and additional components - update vkd3d-proton to v2.5 · ValveSoftware/Proton@c3773b9

Comment

VKD3D-Proton 2.5 is working for games like Control, Cyberpunk 2077, Metro Exodus: Enhanced Edition, Resident Evil: Village, and other titles with DXR.
            Michael, I know you're really busy with running this site, but please try to actually really read the release notes so you don't send people on wild goose chases. Anyone who sees this is going to think that they can run Cyberpunk 2077 with ray tracing. CP 2077 does not work with RT enabled w/ vkd3d-proton:

Cyberpunk 2077 - DXR can be enabled, but GPU timeout
            Please edit the original article and remove CP 2077.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              Sounds crazy, but on Nvidia, Metro EE runs more smoothly with VKD3D-Proton than native D3D12:
              vkd3d-proton git-master with experimental DXR 1.1 supportproton-ge 6.19-GE-2 (fixes sound)linux 5.15rc-tkg

game stutters poorly with Nvidia D3D12 driver and runs slow vs. VKD3D-Proton, no matter the settings

Also hardly any performance loss vs. native without obs capture. This version is really an impressive achievement.
              Really awesome!!

Just one question:
              Windows 11 was using the 'balanced' governor while Linux was on 'performance', right?

But even if so, nevertheless not any less impressive!
              Just hoping that 'schedutil' will perform well on SteamOS 3 here.
              After all, the reputation of Linux depends on it...

BTW, if it isn't too much to ask, could You also compare with 'schedutil' on Metro Exodus EE? (Unfortunately don't own a RTX GPU myself currently...)
              Thanks nonetheless, even if You don't want to; I totally understand!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post

I mean, that may be surprising at first glance but given that DX12 is supposed to be competing with Vulkan, but somehow it's slower than DX11 in the vast majority of cases meanwhile Vulkan is faster as the norm maybe it shouldn't be so surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

I mean, that may be surprising at first glance but given that DX12 is supposed to be competing with Vulkan, but somehow it's slower than DX11 in the vast majority of cases meanwhile Vulkan is faster as the norm maybe it shouldn't be so surprising.
                  This is absolutely not true in the most common cases. Every single game I have ran with dx11 and dx12 versions is 5-10fps faster on windows 10, both on my old 5700xt and on my 3090.
                  The biggest issue with dx12 games on windows is that they are more frequently prone to crashes and other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    Windows 11 was using the 'balanced' governor while Linux was on 'performance', right?
                    Both Linux and Windows maximum performance.

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                    BTW, if it isn't too much to ask, could You also compare with 'schedutil' on Metro Exodus EE? (Unfortunately don't own a RTX GPU myself currently...)
                    Already uninstalled the game, as I needed storage space for testing other stuff.
                    When I'll be trying schedutil again the future (perhaps 5.16), I can give it a go.

If we are lucky, van Gogh SoC might be able to save most of the power also with performance governor. At least my Gemini Lake system does so.

Comment

Working...
                    X