Ubuntu 21.10 Radeon Gaming With KDE Plasma vs. GNOME Shell + Wayland vs. X.Org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MadCatX View Post
    High performance 3D rendering applications go out of their way to bypass as much of the display server as possible. As long as everything works as expected, there should be no difference in raw performance between X11 and Wayland. Native Wayland apps might perhaps deliver a bit less stuttering but that's not something that'd show up when measuring just average FPS.
    Wayland native games will not give a big improvement in performance terms, but a smoother experience.

Comment

considering come crashes and lower performance on kde, i hope valve change their decision for the desktop environment of their incoming game console

Comment

Wauw...
        So nice to see how well wayland is doing on gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
          Your statement can be true once games ship and optimize for native wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilfirin View Post
            I am astonished to see Wayland loosing against Xorg. Shouln't by Wayland more lean, simple and in result, faster, than bloated/olded Xorg?
            Wayland is not going to be faster for gaming.
            Not when games are ported to use Wayland instead of XWayland either.
            So no.
            Wayland is leaner when it comes to compositing and other window based operations like resizing windows, moving windows etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
              considering come crashes and lower performance on kde, i hope valve change their decision for the desktop environment of their incoming game console
              Valve will use Wayland with their own compositor called Gamescope, so it doesn't really matter which DE they'll use in desktop mode.

Comment

Wayland is about modernization of the Display stack, better security and more efficient compositing and window behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                  I too hope so, but for gaming itself, KDE is not running. Valves own lean wayland compositor called gamescope is running. Only in the so called "desktop mode", KDE components will start. I hope so because if KDE will be the first thing Windows users encounter on Linux, they will reevaluate if Windows is really that bad thinking that compared to this experience, it may not be so bad after all.

Comment

When seeing the first picture of the article, I sort of expected Stardew Valley benchmarks.
                    Now, I'm disappointed.

Comment

I took the jump over the weekend and backed up all my data and and fresh installed from Ubuntu 20.04 LTS -> Ubuntu 21.10.

You can no longer make fun of me for running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS like some noob.

I am seriously impressed with Ubuntu 21.10 (GNOME 40, Xorg + Wayland by default (XWayland), Mesa 21.2 stable, GCC 11.2, etc). This is it, chief. It's faster in every way and so far all of my main extensions have worked flawlessly. I've literally given up or sacrificed nothing for what I had in 20.04. Everything in 21.10 is equal, better, and/or faster.

Also: won't be making fun of the Wayland enthusiasts anymore. I'm a fan. (Though I did none of the heavy lifting of coding or bug testing, so I thank you guys for getting it to this point for us.)

Ubuntu 22.04 is going to be awesome. I say just wait for that so you don't disrupt your flow, but you have my blessing to (start fresh only) on a new Ubuntu 21.10 installation. See my post here for more deets.

I was previously running on 20.04 LTS a configuration of 2x 500GB 860 EVO's in a 1TB RAID0, now running 3x 500GB 860 EVO's in a 1.5TB RAID0. We live dangerously here, folks.

Comment

Working...
                      X