Lutris 0.5.9 Released With Support For The Epic Games Store, New Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flower View Post
    The price you "pay" is that it's now more likely that you install their shop on every pc you want to game on and buy more games there.
    That way, more money end in the developers pocket (compared to lining the pockets of the greedy Forbes100 guy).
    just marketing.
    Sure, can you blame them if that's incredible effective? I mean facebook and apple are still around.
    well i use them too (because of the free games) but imho their shop sucks.
    Why does that matter, you said its just marketing (more or less the definiton of it)
    eg no linux support
    Dunno, have you tried Lutris? I believe theres a thread around somewhere.
    no mod support is a problem too - at least for me.
    Thats the first argument.
    so... i payed with "less comfort"
    Compared to what? Most comfort is not having a launcher for me, and no DRM. But not every game is on gog.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
      Screw Epic.

If you can't even be bothered to port something as trivial as a POS toy excuse of a launcher, which is 99% frameworks and libraries in the first place, then you're making a statement that you consider that audience to be worth even less than a week of an intern's time.

I'm not 12 so I can live without Fortnite anyway, but the same holds true for anything else Epic may produce someday: if you don't care enough to do even the bare minimum to support me then I'm not interested in supporting you either.
      Is there even a descent amount of games on Epic Store that support Linux natively?
      Because if not, even if the store was released for Linux, I don't think Epic would've integrated Proton into their store on Linux.

I just haven't heard of any game that is Epic Store exclusive and at the same time has a native Linux version.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
        I like Epic's Game Store. Is Epic perfect? Absolutely not. Have they given me maybe 50+ free games? Absolutely yes. They're my friends at this point. Check up on me every Thursday with a gift. Pretty thoughtful, actually.

You have a working solution on Linux to play most if not all of these games. Give it a try. Or miss out on free games. Your choices.

edit: All thanks to my good friends at Epic. Appreciate the crap out of them. Only game I paid for (with multiple coupons, came out to like $20, but worth full price) was Tetris Effect.

Video is taking forever to load. But seriously, the catalog is immaculate. I still can't believe I got all of these for free. Guys, stop the loyalty stuff. Life is too short. Just take the free games and play them.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The problem is, even that one purchase from you sends a signal: "screw linux, the few weirdos on it are going to sort it out through wine so they can give you money." That's a situation you can handle. But what about a newcomer who just came up with linux? Epic hostility can deter him from linux.
        From my point of view, buying at epic is a purchase against the interests of the Linux community. It's not about loyalty to Steam, because I'm fine with GOG, for example, because it provides at least some linux support.

That's why I say vote with your wallet if you want a change.

Comment

Originally posted by akuhtr View Post

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The problem is, even that one purchase from you sends a signal: "screw linux, the few weirdos on it are going to sort it out through wine so they can give you money."

That's why I say vote with your wallet if you want a change.
          I agree with the actual sentiments you're making, just don't think they apply here. I believe in voting with my dollar, did it recently. Took my business elsewhere and felt great about it.

This could also be lack of resources. We can't just assume every company has the resources to dedicate to Linux. You guys are a *needy* group so they know they can't half-ass it. And if they do half-ass it, you're almost more insulted that they've even tried. It's a lose/lose situation.

I truly applaud Lutris and it's creator for his vision because the free games are there. I have them. 100 of them. Haven't played them all, the timing ain't right for me. But drivers are getting better, GPUs/CPUs faster, I'm in no rush. So I'm just not in the Epic is the devil camp, though I do agree it *is* a shitty situation that we don't have a Linux solution. But that's where Lutris comes in. I appreciate the project greatly. And Epic *way* afterwards for their free games. They do still deserve recognition. They didn't *have* to give them away. Certainly not free, and not the AAA titles that they are giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Nothing is for free […]
            So what exactly do I “pay” for using e.g. KDE or Nano text editor?

Comment

This...

Comment

Holy shirtballs, way to derail off the main course from this feast, Epic is mentioned once and there's no stopping you people 😂
                I'd like to see some of these Epic haters hold other stores in the same light, especially Steam. None of the stores are perfect, not even GOG.

Anyways.

I've been using Lutris 0.5.9 beta for a while and this might be the most exciting update for Lutris so far, amazing work by the team.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

I agree with the actual sentiments you're making, just don't think they apply here. I believe in voting with my dollar, did it recently. Took my business elsewhere and felt great about it.

This could also be lack of resources. We can't just assume every company has the resources to dedicate to Linux. You guys are a *needy* group so they know they can't half-ass it. And if they do half-ass it, you're almost more insulted that they've even tried. It's a lose/lose situation.

I truly applaud Lutris and it's creator for his vision because the free games are there. I have them. 100 of them. Haven't played them all, the timing ain't right for me. But drivers are getting better, GPUs/CPUs faster, I'm in no rush. So I'm just not in the Epic is the devil camp, though I do agree it *is* a shitty situation that we don't have a Linux solution. But that's where Lutris comes in. I appreciate the project greatly. And Epic *way* afterwards for their free games. They do still deserve recognition. They didn't *have* to give them away. Certainly not free, and not the AAA titles that they are giving.

Lack of resources is an argument for game developers. With them, I agree. But Epic isn't a small business, it's a corporation with over $5 billion in revenue. When a tiny itchio is able to make a Linux application, don't tell me that a company with billions in revenue isn't capable of it, especially since their app is built on multiplatform solutions and they've been supporting Mac from the start, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by ridge View Post
                    Holy shirtballs, way to derail off the main course from this feast, Epic is mentioned once and there's no stopping you people 😂
                    I'd like to see some of these Epic haters hold other stores in the same light, especially Steam. None of the stores are perfect, not even GOG.

Anyways.

I've been using Lutris 0.5.9 beta for a while and this might be the most exciting update for Lutris so far, amazing work by the team.

Steam nor GOG cannot be blamed for the lack of Linux support. We also can't blame them for bribing game developers who have announced support for Linux to release the game exclusively on their store and, as a result, cut, or at least push back linux support.
                    Both GoG and Steam have problems, but ones that aren't important to me

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                      They are just a company that wants to make money after all.
                      right now they want to grow market share
                      Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
                      Running their store via wine will for sure show up in their telemetry.
                      they are too busy being kicked out of app stores

Comment

Working...
                      X