Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 6.19 Continues Work On HID Joystick, PE Conversion

Phoronix: Wine 6.19 Continues Work On HID Joystick, PE Conversion

Wine 6.19 is out as the latest bi-weekly development release of Wine as the developers work towards Wine 7.0 stable in early 2022...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They messed it up in 6.18, two devices detected for one DI gamepad (event plus one new) and you can't disable it (you can, but it doesn't stick). Hopefully 6.19 would fix that.

Comment

affecting games like ... Simucube 2
      That isn't a game but a piece of hardware. There seems to be quite a bit of work done on steering wheels for this release.
      Last edited by anth; 09 October 2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anth View Post
        That isn't a game but a piece of hardware. There seems to be quite a bit of work done on steering wheels for this release.
        One that doesn't work on Linux (at least FFB-wise) because of some discrepancy between FFB on Windows an Linux (i.e. the firmware can only work on one of them).

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post

One that doesn't work on Linux (at least FFB-wise) because of some discrepancy between FFB on Windows an Linux (i.e. the firmware can only work on one of them).
          That's strange, it works for me, you have 3 now for direct input devices:
          Device (event) = was there before
          Device (js) = was there before
          Device

I usually disable Device (js) one and leave Device (event) enabled, but this new one "Device" doesn't seem to stick when I disable it, and controls on it are all messed up, it does interfere in one game I tested, making it alsmost unusuable because inputs are not shown in list under "Device" and remaping seems to work but it's not very usable.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Device

I usually disable Device (js) one and leave Device (event) enabled, but this new one "Device" doesn't seem to stick when I disable it, and controls on it are all messed up, it does interfere in one game I tested, making it alsmost unusuable because inputs are not shown in list under "Device" and remaping seems to work but it's not very usable.
            FFB on Simucube 2 works for you?

If you mean FFB in general, such as in gamepads, then tht works in many games on linux.
            With common FFB wheels its much sadder.
            Zero official support for linux by thrustmaster and fanatec, and even though logitech stuff has kernel support, there is an annoying center point in the wheel that makes the experience second-rate on linux.

On a positive note there is a German CS student who has been developing the OpenFF board for a year or so, and it uses a direct drive motor, a silicon controller and a power adapter, and he is hoping to be able to offer kits for €150 in a year or so.
            His youtube channel:
            gigawipf
            Last edited by AdamOne; 10 October 2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
              With common FFB wheels its much sadder.
              Zero official support for linux by thrustmaster
              While true, there is at least an independently-developed out-of-tree driver for the Thrustmaster T150, which already works surprisingly well IMHO:

Linux driver for Thrustmaster T150 Steering Wheel USB - GitHub - scarburato/t150_driver: Linux driver for Thrustmaster T150 Steering Wheel USB

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Device

The joystick devices come up without problems.

The thing is rather that the initialization of the FFB fails. This is due to a difference in the FFB report (field 0xA7) that Linux and Windows expect, possibly because Linux behaves up to some kind of spec while Windows doesn't or the other way round. Not sure.

I can get it working with minor changes to the Linux FFB code (basically remove that field), but I have no hopes to get that code into Linux and I don't know how to write a "workaround-driver".
                If I do my crude patching, the Simucube (I've got the old Simucube 1, but the problem remains the same) works like charm on Linux.

I had some correspondence with Granite Devices about this 1-2 years ago and was told that they could bring out a firmware that works on Linux, but then it wouldn't work on Windows anymore.
                (or rather the HID FFB wouldn't work anymore)
                So I think it'd be better if the Linux FFB code was modified. Don't know how to do that, unfortunately.
                Last edited by Berniyh; 11 October 2021, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X