Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine-Staging 6.18 Released With 616 Patches Atop Upstream

Phoronix: Wine-Staging 6.18 Released With 616 Patches Atop Upstream

Building off yesterday's Wine 6.18 development release is now the next Wine-Staging installment that has more than six hundred extra patches on top...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    This comes after a number of patches were recently upstreamed around NTOKRNL, Shell32, PSAPI, and other components.
    (NTOSKRNL)

Comment

Meanwhile one of the main reasons why you want to use proton instead of wine/dxvk is that there are way less fullscreen/window issues. Why are there proton-exclusive patches at all?

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        Meanwhile one of the main reasons why you want to use proton instead of wine/dxvk is that there are way less fullscreen/window issues. Why are there proton-exclusive patches at all?
        Because Proton is a downstream fork of WINE and as such is free to implement patches as they see fit that can later be upstreamed? Also what does this news have to do with Proton at all?

If you have fullscreen / window issues with WINE, I suggest you look into gamescope, at least it helped in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post

Because Proton is a downstream fork of WINE and as such is free to implement patches as they see fit that can later be upstreamed? Also what does this news have to do with Proton at all?
          Obviously this is related to proton since that's the by now third version with their own patchset of wine. And these patches are also obiously not "later upstreamed" since this has been the situation since the early days of proton. And obviously staging is also not interested in adopting these patches.

Comment

Up and running. Love this PPA.

If you're on Ubuntu, see here on getting wine-staging going: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

Code:
            The following packages will be upgraded:
            wine-staging wine-staging-amd64 wine-staging-i386:i386 winehq-staging
            4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
            Need to get 171 MB of archives.
            After this operation, 5,575 kB disk space will be freed.
            Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
            Get:1 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal/main amd64 winehq-staging amd64 6.18~focal-1 [1,928 B]
            Get:2 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal/main amd64 wine-staging amd64 6.18~focal-1 [3,616 kB]
            Get:3 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal/main i386 wine-staging-i386 i386 6.18~focal-1 [81.9 MB]
            Get:4 https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu focal/main amd64 wine-staging-amd64 amd64 6.18~focal-1 [85.7 MB]
            Fetched 171 MB in 10s (17.2 MB/s)
            Preconfiguring packages ...
            (Reading database ... 1548712 files and directories currently installed.)
            Preparing to unpack .../winehq-staging_6.18~focal-1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking winehq-staging (6.18~focal-1) over (6.17~focal-2) ...
            Preparing to unpack .../wine-staging_6.18~focal-1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking wine-staging (6.18~focal-1) over (6.17~focal-2) ...
            Preparing to unpack .../wine-staging-i386_6.18~focal-1_i386.deb ...
            Unpacking wine-staging-i386:i386 (6.18~focal-1) over (6.17~focal-2) ...
            Preparing to unpack .../wine-staging-amd64_6.18~focal-1_amd64.deb ...
            Unpacking wine-staging-amd64 (6.18~focal-1) over (6.17~focal-2) ...

Comment

The WINE developers don't want that behaviour in wine, they want it to behave like a shallow compatibility layer for better or worse. So if some broken windows program asks to fsck up your video settings WINE will happily translate that to one fscked up Xorg session.

Many end users don't want that though, most of us would prefer it it was abstracted away like what Proton does.
              How usable is Proton outside of steam to replace general WINE?

Comment

Beneath a Steel Sky on SCUMMVM on WINE.

Comment

I hope they improve Wine so it looks more like Windows 10 than Windows 95.

Comment

Originally posted by Laser View Post
                    Obviously this is related to proton since that's the by now third version with their own patchset of wine. And these patches are also obiously not "later upstreamed" since this has been the situation since the early days of proton. And obviously staging is also not interested in adopting these patches.
                    This is a lot more complicated than one can dream.

Ramey is the president of CodeWeavers, which works with Valve to develop Proton.

Proton and Wine core project are both CodeWeavers projects. Yes valve pays CodeWeavers to develop and maintain large sections of proton for them.

Proton is the CodeWeavers own staging area for Wine. So of course patches in proton commonly not turn up in wine-staging is to be expected.

Proton relationship to wine main is kind messed up. Sometimes wine mainline is the downstream of proton and sometimes proton is the downstream of wine mainline.

Kemosabe proton does have per application patches. These per application patches are known not to be right. As in they make X application work but like 50 to 1000 other applications not work that use to work before. Yes that patch is fixing a logic issue but the problem is its fixing one logic bug to cause many more. More development time normally see that patch superseded by a patch fixes individual applications problem without breaking others. This is a time to market problem Valve wants games to work as soon as possible they pay CodeWeavers to make a version of wine that willing to be very hacky so applications work. But valve is not stupid either as they pay CodeWeavers developers also to at some point find a proper fix instead of the hack solution.

Wine core project has a rule no individual application hacks to make stuff work the solutions merged into wine mainline have to be the proper fix. This is also why for non codeweavers developers wine staging branch has been required to mess around with per application patches searching for what the correct defect is causing the problem.

Yes it can be wacky. Like original release rollcage where wine was exposing a mode that only Microsoft software implementation of DX exposed resulting in the game logic going down strange code paths resulting failures in many different areas you could fix so rollcage worked but broke other applications because the fix was not how windows did things.

Wine project and Proton relationship is a complex one. Yes a lot of patches in Proton are not suitable to come to wine mainline ever and over time a lot of those patches in Proton will be replaced as well with patches that do the right thing so no longer need per application hack patch.

Comment

Working...
                    X