BattlEye To Support Valve's Steam Deck / Proton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

No, it isn't. It is only "necessary" because they are doing their game design or competion setups badly.
    Hence the "evil" part in "necessary evil".

The fact of the matter is that evil or not, anti-cheat is a mandatory requirement for contemporary online competitive games, and Proton is trying to make Linux a viable platform to play such games, hence it is necessary for Proton to support it. It doesn't mean we have to actually like the current anti-cheat solutions from a technical perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

Not necessarily client side, or definitely not kernel level.

Take Guild Wars 2 for example, it doesn't have huge problems, and it doesn't implement any client side anti cheat, LoL is another example, WoW?

On the other hand, there are cases like Blade and Soul, known for its botting and using kernel level antic heats.
      Those games are very different from FPS games, try preventing wallhacks/ESP, radarhack and aimhack that emulates natural mouse movement without client side anti-cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Those games are very different from FPS games, try preventing wallhacks/ESP, radarhack and aimhack that emulates natural mouse movement without client side anti-cheat.
        Well, honestly speaking anti cheat may help but still a simple search shows there current hacks working and even have youtube tutorials for most games on those list.

Comment

Please share a design that avoids cheating in amateur offline physical sports games, and doesn't require overly invasive procedures to everybody?
          Why would he share it - he would become rich AF, if he just released it as an alternative to the existing ones ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well, honestly speaking anti cheat may help but still a simple search shows there current hacks working and even have youtube tutorials for most games on those list.
            Well, yeah. It's about as effective as the war on drugs, only a small percentage get caught, which is mostly just the little guy that's too dumb to know what they are doing. But it does raise the bar a little and will at least stop a portion of players from just downloading/buying a cheat and start using it. Without any kind of client side anti-cheat more people would probably cheat in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

That's not how prefixes work. They're not sandboxes, just regular folders.

Use a container.
              Sorry I may have used the wrong terms.

What I mean is a prefix in where the Z: drive (the one Wine assigns for the Linux filesystem) is not exposed so that the anti-cheat cannot access files outside the prefix.
              Using a container would help further though.

Comment

Please share a design that avoids cheating in amateur offline physical sports games, and doesn't require overly invasive procedures to everybody?

You can prevent in official competitions, and you can minimize the impact it can have in other games by not leaving too much to the client. At best they can be a bot.
                It was you who claimed to have created a better design, not me. This is not about official competitions where you control each machine and the network, this is to be able to sell your game to people who want to actually play it against others for fun and not only to a total of 100 prepubescent teens running rampant on your servers forcing every one else off.

Now myself I only play single player games but if you want to play multiplayer over the Internet there is no other way, unless of course if you share your brilliant new design. so still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by ireri View Post

Not necessarily client side, or definitely not kernel level.

Take Guild Wars 2 for example, it doesn't have huge problems, and it doesn't implement any client side anti cheat, LoL is another example, WoW?

On the other hand, there are cases like Blade and Soul, known for its botting and using kernel level antic heats.
                  So is that due to Guild Wars 2 having excellent anti-cheat server side or just that it happens to be not popular among cheaters yet/still?! In the end this is a loosing game by the developers, aka it's an insolvable problem.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sorry I may have used the wrong terms.

What I mean is a prefix in where the Z: drive (the one Wine assigns for the Linux filesystem) is not exposed so that the anti-cheat cannot access files outside the prefix.
                    Using a container would help further though.
                    You don't need Z:\ to access files outside of the prefix. A full container would be the only prevention against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      WTF is this ?
                      Why not scanning only game's files ?
                      Are they also uploading files from our system ?
                      This seems like garbage that I need to block as my privacy has higher priority than a stupid game.
                      What are you trying to hide?

It's scanning for certain files. It doesn't mean they take a list and send them back.

Comment

Working...
                      X