Epic Games Announces Easy Anti-Cheat For Linux - Including Wine/Proton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic Games Announces Easy Anti-Cheat For Linux - Including Wine/Proton

Phoronix: Epic Games Announces Easy Anti-Cheat For Linux - Including Wine/Proton

Not too surprising given the Steam Deck is inching closer towards release and we've known Valve has been working to improve the anti-cheat situation for games on Linux, but today EAC owner Epic Games officially announced Easy Anti-Cheat for both Linux and macOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally!

Took Epic long enough.

Thank you Valve.

Comment

The only anti-cheat is server-side sanity checking, everything else is just a minor annoyance. Client-side anti-cheat is purely just for marketing to make companies feel better.

Comment

Thanks Valve! You guys managed to convince Epic to notice about the anti-cheat issue!!!

Even though I wish client-side anti-cheat software never was a thing, as complicated and annoying as it is...
        Last edited by tildearrow; 23 September 2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Hallelujah! As I've been waiting :'D

Comment

Now we can say that this year is the year of Linux gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
              Now we can say that this year is the year of Linux gaming.
              Final Boss: BattlEye.

Comment

VAC = Valve allows cheats

I just hope that it won't be a new Epic Allows Cheats too.

Comment

Hopefully this means that I can run Fortnite on my nice gaming laptop with the 144Hz display, rather than plugging a keyboard and mouse into my PS4 Pro :P

(Yes, I sometimes play Fortnite, oh so cringe, etc, etc.)

Comment

I thought this would never happen, because it benefits Valve, which competes with Epic, and also because it benefits Linux, which Tim Sweeney seems to despise. Obviously my expectations were wrong.

Now I just wonder how much money changed hands and what sort of pressure was applied.

I don't imagine BattlEye wants to be the only 'solution' which makes its customers' games unplayable on the Steam Deck... maybe a domino effect will come.

Comment

Working...
                    X