Steam On Linux Continues Hovering Around The 1% Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

Read: CPU = Threads (or is it cores?) - yes, confusing. Agree this should be either model or # of cores/threads as these days, multi-CPU systems are pretty much reserved for mainframes.

As for 64 CPUs, I interpret that as someone has a 3990X and loves it
    I know and I agree; just having a bit of a jest since tildearrow pointed it out.

Comment

It will be hard to get higher without reliable Easy Anti-Cheat and BattleEye support. While they are stupid placebos vs. less intrusive solutions, lots of games that are played a lot require them. Also D3D12 games still need compatibility improvements. While a lot of them quickly work fine, others remain broken for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
        Well, I for one tend to buy my games on GOG, and play them using Lutris/Wine if no Linux native versions are available. It's somewhat hit and miss, but I'm not paying for DRM...
        Not all games on Steam have DRM. The real problem is you can't know by advance.

But it easy to test : just copy a game folder from Steam and try to launch it when Steam is shutdown. If it works : no DRM, if not : DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
          It will be hard to get higher without reliable Easy Anti-Cheat and BattleEye support. While they are stupid placebos vs. less intrusive solutions, lots of games that are played a lot require them. Also D3D12 games still need compatibility improvements. While a lot of them quickly work fine, others remain broken for too long.
          My hope is Steam Deck is succesful and pushes developers away from DX12 and towards Vulkan and we will hopefully see less of these issues in future.

Comment

Obviously, this monthly Linux tracking will get more exciting (or depressing) starting in early 2022 with the Steam Deck.

Comment

Originally posted by coder111 View Post
              Well, I for one tend to buy my games on GOG, and play them using Lutris/Wine if no Linux native versions are available. It's somewhat hit and miss, but I'm not paying for DRM...
              If a game developer doesn't require a DRM solution, Steam does not add one.

GOG does not support Linux.

Comment

Personally I have switched to using GeForce NOW. But it kinda sucks that I now count as a Windows machine in the Steam statistics

For some reason it must be feasible for Nvidia to run everything on Windows..

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post

If a game developer doesn't require a DRM solution, Steam does not add one.

GOG does not support Linux.
                  GOG sells Linux games. I don't want to use their client and didn't do so on Windows either so for me they do support LInux.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Mainframe Gaming - 16 motherboards with 4 CPUs each

Just kidding ;p
                    If someone wants to game on the supercomputer at Oak Ridge, they are welcome to. They will probably go to prison, but they are welcome to.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibel View Post

Not all games on Steam have DRM. The real problem is you can't know by advance.

But it easy to test : just copy a game folder from Steam and try to launch it when Steam is shutdown. If it works : no DRM, if not : DRM.
                      That and, if the developer decides to add DRM in an update, Steam won't guarantee you access to re-download a pre-DRM version.

Comment

Working...
                      X