Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam On Linux Continues Hovering Around The 1% Mark

Phoronix: Steam On Linux Continues Hovering Around The 1% Mark

In July -- the same month as Valve announcing the Steam Deck -- the Steam on Linux marketshare hit 1.0%. That 1.0% marketshare was a +0.14% bump and the highest seen in years since Steam on Linux's debut nearly a decade ago back when it commanded around a 2% marketshare...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

An increase in Simplified Chinese users that didn't affect Linux usage share. Hmmm.

Great, they removed the Network Speed metric as it was useless.
    But it still says "Number of CPUs" instead of "Number of Cores", and it also reads "Intel CPU Speeds" as if Intel were the only manufacturer of CPUs in the world....

Wait, why is the short description "Falls" when Linux improved in usage share?
    Last edited by tildearrow; 02 September 2021, 05:27 AM.

Comment

In other news NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 continues to be the most popular GPU ever created.

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      An increase in Simplified Chinese users that didn't affect Linux usage share. Hmmm.

Great, they removed the Network Speed metric as it was useless.
      But it still says "Number of CPUs" instead of "Number of Cores", and it also reads "Intel CPU Speeds" as if Intel were the only manufacturer of CPUs in the world....
      Yeah, I concur, instead it would be great if they counted/showed CPU models just like they count/show GPUs.

The system RAM stats are stuck in 2000. Lots of people now have a lot more than 16GB of RAM and systems with less than 4GB of RAM are vanishingly rare.
      Last edited by avem; 02 September 2021, 05:30 AM.

Comment

Yeah, Steam. The only place where Intel keeps gaining market share.

Comment

Windows should be 96.49%

And where are these people buying 64 CPU socket desktops?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Windows should be 96.49%

Mainframe Gaming - 16 motherboards with 4 CPUs each

Just kidding ;p

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Windows should be 96.49%

Read: CPU = Threads (or is it cores?) - yes, confusing. Agree this should be either model or # of cores/threads as these days, multi-CPU systems are pretty much reserved for mainframes.

As for 64 CPUs, I interpret that as someone has a 3990X and loves it
              Last edited by wertigon; 02 September 2021, 05:49 AM. Reason: Clarified last sentence

Comment

Well, I for one tend to buy my games on GOG, and play them using Lutris/Wine if no Linux native versions are available. It's somewhat hit and miss, but I'm not paying for DRM...

Comment

Would be cool, if Linux would get beyond Apple.
                  3% Linux users (including Steam Deck) would be really satisfying to me, just to be the user of the No2 OS on Steam (Windows counted as one system).

Comment

Originally posted by obri View Post
                    Would be cool, if Linux would get beyond Apple.
                    3% Linux users (including Steam Deck) would be really satisfying to me, just to be the user of the No2 OS on Steam (Windows counted as one system).
                    Nitrogen dioxide OS? Why?

Comment

Working...
                    X