Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DXVK-Native Sees First Release For Easing Direct3D-To-Vulkan Game Porting On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teggs View Post
    From what has been seen, a poor Vulkan or DX12 implementation may perform below DirectX11 levels, but a decent implementation, for a game which did not target Vulkan during development, is much work. Is the idea, from a devs standpoint, that DXVK-Native will hit parity with even less effort than a poor port? 'I might be willing to build my game for Linux but I don't want to redo the rendering'?

I read a while back that Gallium Nine was split from Wine. Can it also be used without Wine?
    In theory. install your distro's version of mesa-nine or however they call it. Theoretically, you could write an app calling straight gallium, if you don't mind being unusable by nvidia and amdgpu-pro- equipped machines.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Android, drop in the bucket he says...
      With working VK drivers it's not even a drop...

Comment

Originally posted by set135

As far a revenue goes, the most recent numbers I have seen were an estimate of mobile gaming pulling in $120 billion this year, up 20% from the year before and 1.5x the combined console, pc, mac and handheld market. Mobile has the most users, the lowest barrier to entry, and its gaming population is growing faster than the other platforms. That is where the money is.
        The types of games played on PC vs. mobile are quite different

Comment

From what has been seen, a poor Vulkan or DX12 implementation may perform below DirectX11 levels, but a decent implementation, for a game which did not target Vulkan during development, is much work. Is the idea, from a devs standpoint, that DXVK-Native will hit parity with even less effort than a poor port? 'I might be willing to build my game for Linux but I don't want to redo the rendering'?

I read a while back that Gallium Nine was split from Wine. Can it also be used without Wine?
          https://www.supergoodcode.com/different-again/ (Note that performance numbers were vs. ToGL, using the game's Vulkan option would be closer to the Gallium Nine FPS numbers.)

Comment

Vulkan is actually a lot easier to work with than opengl once you get used to it, the issue is that it needs the developer to do a lot of preparatory work first, but when its done its really nice. so its not actually that hard to port if you are a competent developer, but it does need time

Comment

Originally posted by flashmozzg View Post

With working VK drivers it's not even a drop...
              Vulkan is a shit show and a half on android. but its still better than the gles situation, at least most vulkan drivers hit proper 1.0 conformance, many games on android still use hacks for different hardware because of devs, and graphics drivers are rarely updated outside of full system updates. so that doesn't help either, android is just a trash OS

Comment

Native DXVK is usally faster than DXVK + Wine, or the same?

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                  Native DXVK is usally faster than DXVK + Wine, or the same?
                  In most cases you'll find it to be within the margin of error, it should in theory be faster, But it doesn't really work like that. It would depend on the game itself, and the quality of the port.

wine plus DXVK, will be much faster than a crappy port, but a good port should be faster. Again it probably won't be all that much faster though.

The biggest consideration is having a native port should be way less buggy, assuming the portis any decent

Comment

Is the idea, from a devs standpoint, that DXVK-Native will hit parity with even less effort than a poor port? 'I might be willing to build my game for Linux but I don't want to redo the rendering'?
                    Yes.
                    Well, sort-of: it has nothing to do with "hitting parity", it's *entirely* about pushing your last sentence from a 0.1% chance to a 0.2% one.

Comment

90% of Win games is still using D3D, deal with it, or we will again in era PPC Linux gaming. I have such old Mac machine ,there is 10 or so big games and nothing. Some wrappers or translation is only solution and would be at least for next 3 years, if i project best possible Linux future friedly scenario. Android its not relevant for big hames, there is not hw for it,Nvidia tried to port few big older titles with Shield and it was big failure, wery small sales.. and even Android os is not ready, lots stuttering.

Comment

Working...
                      X