No announcement yet.

Steam Survey Shows Linux Marketshare Hitting 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As someone commented, I also think that it's natural that people are checking the state of gaming on Linux ahead of SteamDeck. Also, the promise that SteamDeck should be able to run all games on steam, might have made some think that they can now run their whole library on Linux, though anti-cheat isn't sorted yet, and not all games are running yet.

As for the jump on Windows - if people are getting the survey after reinstalling - I bet that more than a few, has installed Windows 11, and tested it for gaming. Some might have stuck with it, others might have returned to Windows 10. All of which would cause more than a normal amount of reinstalling Windows. This *could* also mean that the Linux marketshare is actually higher than the 1%, buuut the same could be the case here, that there's new Linux installs (maybe people trying out SteamOS 3.0 - the first "3" in Valve's history - and Arch with an installer 😂)

Comment

I am not happy with current linux gaming situation. I wish Valve and other companies intrested in linux desktop invest more resouces into making standard, backwards-compatible linux runtime that would allow games and other software to survive distribution upgrades. Most of older native ports no longer work, or have issues that make them unplayable.
      Proton isn't a solution, it just makes things worse on that regard. Even Feral Interactive doesn't see native linux ports viable anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Windows will shrink.

The TPM 2.0 requirement will make a lot of people jump ship to Macs and Linux. Many of these computers which are incapable of running Windows 11 will be very powerful and not that old. These users will not be ready to give them up. Sure, most will just take the beating that Microsoft is dishing out, but there's always that sizeable amount who get frustrated and never come back to Microsoft-land.
        Why would it? I have a 4 year old computer that was only mediocre when I bought it, and even that potato has a TPM 2 compatible chip. TPM 2 is around since 2014, if my quick google search is right. So unless you have a horribly outdated hardware, I think you'll be fine. And since we are talking about gamers here, outdated hardware isn't exactly the norm. Those who don't care about updating their hardware, will also not care about Windows 11. Just look at the numbers of users who still run Windows 7! So no, there won't be a drop with Win 11.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
          I am not happy with current linux gaming situation. I wish Valve and other companies intrested in linux desktop invest more resouces into making standard, backwards-compatible linux runtime that would allow games and other software to survive distribution upgrades. Most of older native ports no longer work, or have issues that make them unplayable.
          Proton isn't a solution, it just makes things worse on that regard. Even Feral Interactive doesn't see native linux ports viable anymore.
          The way I see it, it's really positive to get more software on Linux, as it will increase userbase. With increased userbase on Linux, hopefully more devs will switch to using things like Vulcan, SDL2, QT, etc., that are open and cross platform, in stead of developing specifically for proprietary environments.
          From there I imagine that native software and backward compatibility will be more of a focus. I mean, if Linux one day reaches e.g. a 20% userbase, it surely will make a tonne of sense to start making sure that things are tweaked to the environment, in stead of using compatibility layers. Apple has 16% desktop userbase (according to https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market...ktop/worldwide ), but has plenty of native software from big developers.

Comment

i actually got the survey offer yesterday, after many years. might explain the bump if it was the case for other people as well.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
              i would not agree on the "most". because it is very relative to your own selection. i have many games that keep working without issues.

only problem i had recently was borderlands2:tps which had some odd libc issue, and planetary annihilation that gives me some cryptic 3d acceleration error. otherwise i have no issues.

Comment

So Steam Deck -> raise in Steam numbers. Marketing ploy was successful, now let it die and think about the next crap we can present for free press. Gabe wants to buy another yacht.
                Rinse, repeat.

Comment

Even the growth (or comeback?) of the Chinese doesn't threat to the Linux growth.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

Why would it? I have a 4 year old computer that was only mediocre when I bought it, and even that potato has a TPM 2 compatible chip. TPM 2 is around since 2014, if my quick google search is right. So unless you have a horribly outdated hardware, I think you'll be fine. And since we are talking about gamers here, outdated hardware isn't exactly the norm. Those who don't care about updating their hardware, will also not care about Windows 11. Just look at the numbers of users who still run Windows 7! So no, there won't be a drop with Win 11.
                    I am by no stretch of the imagination, a gamer, but I have a PC from 2015, that actually plays newer games rather well. TPM might be from around 2014, but didn't see wide adoption until around 2015. I don't know if my PC has it, but then I don't care, because when I remember to pick it up, I'm installing Linux on it, and will only be running Windows for MS office in a VM.
                    Also, my niece and my nephew do play a lot of games, but my sister can't really afford to buy them new computers, so their hardware is pretty far behind. This will be the case for quite a lot of people. Granted, by the time that windows 10 reaches end of life in 4-5 years, hardware that does not support TPM 2.0 will be 10+ years old. But then - this far, hardware hasn't gained *that* many massive performance gains over the past decade. New technology, sure - more cores, absolutely! - much more gaming capability, less so. But you can run some pretty new games using DirectX12, on hardware that doesn't support it, by using Wine/Proton on Linux, so all the new technology matters less - especially if your graphicscard works with Vulcan.

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who has contributed to Linux & Open Source, Gamers & Developers to make this happen.

It's been a roller-coaster the last 10 years, very proud of what we've accomplished as a collective & thankful to Valve for all the awesome loot.

Comment

Working...
                      X