Steam Survey Shows Linux Marketshare Hitting 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

There are more Linux users today as a percentage than there were 8 years ago,
    Nop,

The latest Steam Hardware Survey shows Linux market-share has declined again | GamingOnLinux

Comment

That graphic is from an article which is four years old!

You could ask Steam directly for up to date numbers:

However I don't think Steam survey numbers are worth anything, neither from artices that take them as a source nor using them for anything directly.

Comment

good that we just implemented cross compiling Wine to join the AAA gaming party https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgIgALjpXeU&pp=sAQA ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

That graphic is from an article which is four years old!
          Yes, because I answered for statement:

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

There are more Linux users today as a percentage than there were 8 years ago,
          Linux, 7-8 yeas ago was more popular as percentage than today.

So, linux fans as always they speak untruthfully, or more severely - lie.

are worth anything
          yep, only what you say is woth a lot. Valve and steam is stupid you are clever.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
            I enjoy local games. No need to pay for Steam, or any of its competitors.
            steam is free, you don't have to pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by clintar View Post
              So somehow in the same time frame as the Steam Deck, conveniently Linux jumps? Seems pretty suspect one way or another.
              just some people were excited by steamdeck news and dualbooted less

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                Proton isn't a solution, it just makes things worse on that regard.
                proton isn't a solution for native ports, but it is a solution for tens of thousands of games which will never get native port. and btw, i don't want "ports", i want games designed for linux. and proton is a solution for that(required step is to have meaningful market share)
                Originally posted by khnazile View Post
                Even Feral Interactive doesn't see native linux ports viable anymore.
                not ports, one port of game which was epic fail store exclusive given away for free
                Last edited by pal666; 03 August 2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post

Yes, because I answered for statement:

Linux, 7-8 yeas ago was more popular as percentage than today.

yep, only what you say is woth a lot. Valve and steam is stupid you are clever.
                  I'm not sure that you're talking about the same thing. Specifically SteamOS marketshare was at its highest right after its initial launch, then dropped, and now looks to be slightly on the rise.
                  Linux has been slowly climbing over the past at least 8 years. 0.88% in January 2013, up to 2.38% this year. Relative, that's a climb of 270%. So no. Linux as a whole, did not have a larger percentage of desktop marketshare 7-8 years ago.
                  SteamOS had a larger userbase at launch, than it does today.

Edit:
                  While the above is not entirely wrong, what I meant, and failed to clearly communicate, is that:

"Linux in Steam" marketshare has generally been declining since Steam client/SteamOS launched.

"Linux on desktop" marketshare, has steadily been rising.
                  Last edited by mbrf; 03 August 2021, 03:51 PM. Reason: Clarifying

Comment

Since you seem to be deliberately misinterpreting data, let's look at how many steam users there are now and were in 2017.

Around 0.7%(your graph shows somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8) of 67 million makes 469 thousand whereas 1% of 120 million makes 1.2 million. A %141 increase in linux users is hardly being less popular in comparison to the past. Ignoring the fact that the total amount of steam users is increasing faster than the amount of steam users on linux to make it look as if less people are using linux is untruthful, or more severely - a lie.
                    Last edited by osw89; 03 August 2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Nope
                      I said linux users, not linux gamers. Then I said Statcounter. I'm not sure why you cited Steam numbers, doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Working...
                      X