Steam Survey Shows Linux Marketshare Hitting 1.0%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post
    Always remember that this survey is for Steam customers on Linux, not Linux users.
    I have never installed Steam and like me many other Linux users I guess ... not all of us love to play or have time for it.
    So what? There are also Windows users who don't use Steam. So it should still give an indication of the relations.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
      So what? There are also Windows users who don't use Steam. So it should still give an indication of the relations.
      Only between users of a crappy gamer launcher. Users who actually care to send a survey instead hang their head in shame for having to use it.
      I proudly did hang my head in shame twice.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
        I open the Steam Client almost daily. No survey for me on Linux all these years, ever.
        I recently read that the survey doesn't show for users using the beta option in Steam. Since I think Linux users who're using Steam are eager to have the newest, a good amount will likely be using beta. Would you happen to be one of them?
        I do know that it's a general issue outside of that, but this apparently can be one of the reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by khnazile View Post
          I am not happy with current linux gaming situation. I wish Valve and other companies intrested in linux desktop invest more resouces into making standard, backwards-compatible linux runtime that would allow games and other software to survive distribution upgrades. Most of older native ports no longer work, or have issues that make them unplayable.
          Proton isn't a solution, it just makes things worse on that regard. Even Feral Interactive doesn't see native linux ports viable anymore.
          Aside from Proton, which pretty much is said solution for at least windows games, valve has something called Pressure Vessel?

Comment

Originally posted by mbrf View Post

I recently read that the survey doesn't show for users using the beta option in Steam. Since I think Linux users who're using Steam are eager to have the newest, a good amount will likely be using beta. Would you happen to be one of them?
            I do know that it's a general issue outside of that, but this apparently can be one of the reasons.
            As usual: Utter crap. Got it on my beta client (running on my desktop) AND my normal one (running on the laptop) once each this year.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

Maybe you misunderstood or I couldn't explain myself, I just meant that that survey doesn't reflect Linux users, but Linux players who use Steam.
              Obviously this is also the case for Windows, I did not say otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie68 View Post

Maybe you misunderstood or I couldn't explain myself, I just meant that that survey doesn't reflect Linux users, but Linux players who use Steam.
                Obviously this is also the case for Windows, I did not say otherwise.
                In other words, it's a reflection of Steam gaming on Linux, not gaming on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                  Except it doesn't. Proton doesn't suffer from distro breakage, unlike most of the native ports, who will simply silently fail to start if they weren't compiled for your distro.
                  It is precisely the standard, backwards-compatible Linux runtime you were asking for.
                  Yeah it's actually funny how it worked out. Ever since DXVK and Vulkan became popular, I've found that Wine or Proton just work without issue. I have more weird issues with native Linux titles, probably because they were written with certain expectations that aren't valid anymore. Rather than keeping up with the rapid pace of change in the Linux world, it does make sense to target Windows and take advantage of Wine instead of porting. Maybe if there was a huge performance delta you could make the case for a native port, but I don't find that to be the case in the games I've played.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                    Can you please explain how being able to effortlessly deploy Full Disk Encryption is bad for users? Because that's what TPM2 allows for. Not only on Windows, but Linux too. You can finally forget about stupid "unlock keys" or even worse, USB keys, just let the TPM chip do the work.

The majority of notebooks made in the last 3 years have a TPM2 chip. All Ryzen CPUs have a built-in fTPM too. Many existing desktop motherboards have a TPM2 header, too. Requiring TPM2 is a non-issue blown out of proportion by the paranoid ones. It's not a disadvantage, it's an advantage.

It's like complaining if a new WiFi standard made WPA3 support mandatory. It's about friggin' time!
                    I cannot explain what is bad about TPM 2.0 to you, because the tech itself doesn't bother me. The tech is probably great, I don't know.

I don't like being bossed around. That's the problem is the bossiness. Apparently you do like being bossed around. There's no middle ground here, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
                      I've been hearing this for 8 years - LOL .
                      There are more Linux users today as a percentage than there were 8 years ago, and there will be more in 8 years from now. If you bothered to pay attention to the context of what I was saying, I said Windows 11 specifically will make people jump ship. And I stand by that.

Statcounter puts Linux currently at 2.4%. It was not as high as 2.4% 8 years ago. It will be bigger in 8 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X