X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925

Hm, Zen 2 atleast has TPM 2.0 through fTPM, and I believe Intel Skylake and newer atleast have TPM 2.0 through fTPM. So, quite a few chips are supported.

But yeah, Microsoft is leaving quite a few chips by the wayside. Maybe it will just be a requirement for new systems launching with Windows 11 ?
    Hmm, according to the Internet my 1600X should have a fTPM but my BIOS/UEFI refuses to see it (and my MOBO which is built for the first genereation of Ryzen have TPM pins but no chip). An earlier google showed only support for 5xxxx hence my initial idea of only the latest generation.

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

Can you please explain how being able to effortlessly deploy Full Disk Encryption is bad for users? Because that's what TPM2 allows for. Not only on Windows, but Linux too. You can finally forget about stupid "unlock keys" or even worse, USB keys, just let the TPM chip do the work.

The majority of notebooks made in the last 3 years have a TPM2 chip. All Ryzen CPUs have a built-in fTPM too. Many existing desktop motherboards have a TPM2 header, too. Requiring TPM2 is a non-issue blown out of proportion by the paranoid ones. It's not a disadvantage, it's an advantage.

It's like complaining if a new WiFi standard made WPA3 support mandatory. It's about friggin' time!
    Only the latest generation of Ryzens have fTPM and loads and loads of motherboards have TPM2 pins but no chip (mine only have the pins).

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by sandy8925
    Lol, if they count Steam Deck as Linux (which it technically is) I wonder how much that would affect Steam on Linux marketshare? Obviously depends on how many Steam Decks they sell, but it should be a decent amount.
    I don't think that the deck will show the survey. The Steam Survey is an optional thingy that pops up and I don't think that they will want to have that on the deck.

Leave a comment:

• wertigon
    replied
    It gets even better than that...

2013, registered steam users were ~24 million, of those 2% were Linux users, so 480 000
    2021, registered steam users were ~120 million, of those 1% were Linux users, so 1 200 000

That is an increase of 150% in absolute numbers.

Of course, Windows players grew by 400% or so during the same time period, so could've been better.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Originally posted by HEL88 View Post
    Linux, 7-8 yeas ago was more popular as percentage than today.
    Statcounter has numbers from 2013 - 8 years ago.

Today linux usage is at 2.4%. 8 years ago linux usage was at 1.13%. Linux is used by more people today as a percentage.(and in total)

This graph shows the market share of desktop operating systems worldwide based on over 5 billion monthly page views.

Leave a comment:

• ezst036
    replied
    Nope
    I said linux users, not linux gamers. Then I said Statcounter. I'm not sure why you cited Steam numbers, doesn't make any sense.

Leave a comment:

• osw89
    replied
    So, linux fans as always they speak untruthfully, or more severely - lie.
    Since you seem to be deliberately misinterpreting data, let's look at how many steam users there are now and were in 2017.

Around 0.7%(your graph shows somewhere between 0.6 and 0.8) of 67 million makes 469 thousand whereas 1% of 120 million makes 1.2 million. A %141 increase in linux users is hardly being less popular in comparison to the past. Ignoring the fact that the total amount of steam users is increasing faster than the amount of steam users on linux to make it look as if less people are using linux is untruthful, or more severely - a lie.
    Last edited by osw89; 03 August 2021, 09:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mbrf
    replied

Yes, because I answered for statement:

Linux, 7-8 yeas ago was more popular as percentage than today.

So, linux fans as always they speak untruthfully, or more severely - lie.

yep, only what you say is woth a lot. Valve and steam is stupid you are clever.
    I'm not sure that you're talking about the same thing. Specifically SteamOS marketshare was at its highest right after its initial launch, then dropped, and now looks to be slightly on the rise.
    Linux has been slowly climbing over the past at least 8 years. 0.88% in January 2013, up to 2.38% this year. Relative, that's a climb of 270%. So no. Linux as a whole, did not have a larger percentage of desktop marketshare 7-8 years ago.
    SteamOS had a larger userbase at launch, than it does today.

Edit:
    While the above is not entirely wrong, what I meant, and failed to clearly communicate, is that:

"Linux in Steam" marketshare has generally been declining since Steam client/SteamOS launched.

"Linux on desktop" marketshare, has steadily been rising.
    Last edited by mbrf; 03 August 2021, 03:51 PM. Reason: Clarifying

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    Proton isn't a solution, it just makes things worse on that regard.
    proton isn't a solution for native ports, but it is a solution for tens of thousands of games which will never get native port. and btw, i don't want "ports", i want games designed for linux. and proton is a solution for that(required step is to have meaningful market share)
    Originally posted by khnazile View Post
    Even Feral Interactive doesn't see native linux ports viable anymore.
    not ports, one port of game which was epic fail store exclusive given away for free
    Last edited by pal666; 03 August 2021, 03:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by clintar View Post
    So somehow in the same time frame as the Steam Deck, conveniently Linux jumps? Seems pretty suspect one way or another.
    just some people were excited by steamdeck news and dualbooted less

Leave a comment:

Working...
X