Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDL 2.0.16 Is On The Way With Better Wayland Support, Improved PipeWire Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morty
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
    So its appearing developer laziness and possible legal team fear of walking into uncharted ground won this round.
    Never underestimate lazinez, so obviusly tha main reason og those two.

That said, strong anti cheat requiring static linking is probably not an issue for most SDL bases games anyway. Afterall it's not usually used for those multiplayer AAA games.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    I didn't know Thank you for the information.
    Now the problem is, what about the games that disable the dynamic replacement feature? I am pretty sure these could exist in the name of anti-cheat or something...

Turns out to be a funny one. The fact it was made that you had to edit one header file to turn the dynamic replacement feature off instead of a built option the result has been no game that valve personal have seen that uses the new version since 2014 has turned it off.

tildearrow there is also a clause in the SDL license that also kicks into life once you modify that header.

2. Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be misrepresented as being the original software.
    Fun question what would equal plainly marked as you had used SDL and done the modification disabling the dynamic replacement feature as disabling that feature requires using a altered source version of SDL.

So its appearing developer laziness and possible legal team fear of walking into uncharted ground won this round.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

tildearrow something to remember SDL since 2014 got a nice little creative feature that even if you static link or pack in SDL replacement still can be dynamically loaded. So there is a line in sand for how old game is that has a non replaceable static linked SDL.
    I didn't know Thank you for the information.

Now the problem is, what about the games that disable the dynamic replacement feature? I am pretty sure these could exist in the name of anti-cheat or something...

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Now I wonder whether games are going to ship the update... Considering most static-link or pack in SDL, they usually don't..
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

tildearrow something to remember SDL since 2014 got a nice little creative feature that even if you static link or pack in SDL replacement still can be dynamically loaded. So there is a line in sand for how old game is that has a non replaceable static linked SDL.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Now I wonder whether games are going to ship the update... Considering most static-link or pack in SDL, they usually don't..

Leave a comment:

• SDL 2.0.16 Is On The Way With Better Wayland Support, Improved PipeWire Integration

Phoronix: SDL 2.0.16 Is On The Way With Better Wayland Support, Improved PipeWire Integration

SDL 2.0.16 is being prepared for release as the successor to SDL 2.0.14. Particularly for Linux users this SDL 2.0.16 update is significant with some key enhancements for this library that is common to multi-platform games and part of the Steam runtime...

Working...
X