Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lutris 0.5.9 Beta Released With Epic Games Store Support, DXVK-NVAPI/DLSS, Gamescope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

its a difference if you offer the Epic Game Store alongside Uplay, EA Origin, GOG Galaxy and the others as Lutris Runners, or if you directly integrate them in Lutris. It would actually be less bad to integrate EA Origin in Lutris then EGS because EA is just passive, Epic Megagames is openly hostile to both Linux Users and consumers in general.

I am free to spend my money however I want. Loosing my 10 bucks per month will certainly not hurt them that much .
    Legendary and Heroic show that Epic can be accessed in a scriptable, portable way. AFAIK, that doesn't exist for all of the other launchers which would limit and hamper integration. Some of those launchers suck and you have to go into them and click a bunch of crap to download and play games....no way to be pragmatic about it/have automated solutions. If anything, that makes Epic a bit less hostile than the rest since we can rig up a solution with them.

From my perspective, all the launchers you listed are openly hostile to Linux Users and consumers in general. So many of them use game engines and tech that works cross platform it isn't funny and it wouldn't be that difficult for them to offer native Linux versions or to even build upon Wine+Proton and use that. In the case of GOG they offer Linux games and a Windows client. While better than nothing, offering games without a way to manage them can be seen as hostile since the launcher is available on a Unix-like platform already. Even Valve, as great as they are, has their Mafia level percentages.

Playstation and Xbox are basically CustomBSD and CustomWin11 while Stadia is CustomLinux. If games are on all of those platforms in addition to macOS, Switch, and Windows PC then it probably wouldn't take much effort for a Linux release since they already have two releases based on open source technologies that Linux uses -- CustomBSD and CustomLinux. So, yeah, if they're on all of that and not Linux then they're all openly hostile to us. It shows that they have the means and abilities to give us games and they don't. That's openly hostile in my book.

And I don't want to hear about how cheating and DRM is why. Because that is rampant on Windows and hacked consoles...even non-hacked/cracked systems now-a-days thanks to AI controlled cheating rigs -- AI with cameras that watches the TV and plays the game for you (seriously....it's like one or two steps away from being an actual terminator because it's programmed to look for human targets and shoot). So cheating isn't the real reason. DRM, maybe, but they crack games on Windows in hours to days so the few people on Linux that would pirate the cracked Linux release probably isn't the reason either. Frankly, a lot of the cheating should be handled server-side as well as they should start allowing player-hosted servers again. Let the people who want to play that way do so on their own modded servers. It won't stop it all, but it'll stop a lot of it. Limiting player-hosted servers and forcing us to play with cheaters can be considered to be hostile.

It's basically down to lazy or hostile. Pick one. Or both. These days they have every reason to support us between all numerous compatibility methods we have and platforms very similar to ours that they're expected to support.

I'm free to spend my money however I want too. If I limited it to things that didn't support Linux very well or to the highest of standards I'd basically be down to an Intel only PC. AMD doesn't have the best first day hardware support nor do they offer us near as much on the software side as they offer on Windows. In some regards it can be said they do the bare minimum to get by. Firmware fsck Nvidia can be considered better than AMD on Linux in regards to first day support, software, and features...and then you install KDE or something Wayland.

Basically, my point is that everything, hardware and software, is fair game if one gets down to the nitty gritty details. There's probably nothing you can spend your money on that isn't tainted somehow. Even Phoronix is a bad purchase because Michael is a beer drinking degenerate.

Sorry about the wall of text. I tried my best to split it up into paragraphs of separate thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
      About downloading EGS games on Linux: Why not? I got many games for free and most of them work fine with Heroic.

With Lutris, we can have a better launcher with great configurability.

It's literally FREE(as in beer), why would you be against it? If something, getting the games for free and don't buy anything on the EGS is not helping them, they pay the game for you.
      Free games on EGS are not Free as in Free Beer, you pay by giving them user numbers that they can use in argumentation for their exclusive deals. You pay by directly hurting those who actually put lots and money and effort in our platform.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Legendary and Heroic show that Epic can be accessed in a scriptable, portable way. AFAIK, that doesn't exist for all of the other launchers which would limit and hamper integration. Some of those launchers suck and you have to go into them and click a bunch of crap to download and play games....no way to be pragmatic about it/have automated solutions. If anything, that makes Epic a bit less hostile than the rest since we can rig up a solution with them.
        That is because the client is just a quite lazy frontend, a glorified download manager. There is not much to it.

Basically, my point is that everything, hardware and software, is fair game if one gets down to the nitty gritty details. There's probably nothing you can spend your money on that isn't tainted somehow. Even Phoronix is a bad purchase because Michael is a beer drinking degenerate.
        A beer drinking degenerate? Do you need mental help?

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
          It's literally FREE(as in beer), why would you be against it? If something, getting the games for free and don't buy anything on the EGS is not helping them, they pay the game for you.
          Why does free as in beer automatically equal no criticism?
          IE6 was free as in beer. Facebook is free as in beer.
          I will never take a free game from EGS. It may be free, but it's way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
            I don't understand how can you remove support of legacy Wined3d when it's part of upstream Wine?
            By "legacy", I assume they refer to the OpenGL backend.
            By "legacy" they refer to Wine's old, slow and largely unusable original Direct3D-to-OpenGL implementation that has been effectively deprecated ever since DXVK and later D9VK were released.

Lack of humor detected.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

By "legacy" they refer to Wine's old, slow and largely unusable original Direct3D-to-OpenGL implementation that has been effectively deprecated ever since DXVK and later D9VK were released.
              I know.. I meant how is it possible to remove a component that is upstream in Wine itself. On most, if not all distros, Lutris by default uses the Wine package that is shipped by the distro. Or are they referring to the Lutris Wine runner?
              Last edited by user1; 01 August 2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

That is because the client is just a quite lazy frontend, a glorified download manager. There is not much to it.
                Unless it does things like Steam with Proton, Workshop mods, backup/restore functions, etc. But, yeah, most seem to be downloaders with a login screen.

....do you not grasp anything that isn't spelled out directly? What one person sees as a beer drinking degenerate another person sees as a person having a drink. "Beer drinking degenerates" were such a problem that alcohol was made illegal at one time...so no, I don't need mental help. Do you need a history book?

Comment

...so no, I don't need mental help. Do you need a history book?
                  I do not need a history book to know that Americans have stupid ideas, create stupid movements and then create stupid laws that they then later have to revoke again.

Comment

epic is a piece of garbage, no doubts about that but if is more easy to install what's the problem? is better to use it in our OS of choice than need to use with windows or macos

Comment

Free games on EGS are not Free as in Free Beer, you pay by giving them user numbers that they can use in argumentation for their exclusive deals. You pay by directly hurting those who actually put lots and money and effort in our platform.
                      Lol, no.

There are millions of people adding those games already, Linux users contributing to those numbers hardly matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X