Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O3DE Game Engine Quickly Settling Its Linux Support

Phoronix: O3DE Game Engine Quickly Settling Its Linux Support

Less than one month since Open 3D Engine was announced based on Amazon's Lumberyard engine, the Linux support is nearly in a pleasant state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there a real market for this engine?

Comment

Not so stellar C++ code quality at the moment. Time will tell.
      ☟☟ Awesome T-Shirts! Sponsors! Books! ☟☟Upcoming Workshop: C++ Best Practices, NDC TechTown, Sept 9-10, 2024► https://ndctechtown.com/workshops/c-best-practi...

Update: code refactoring and removal of dead/legacy code (leftovers from Cry not currently in use) seem to be in progress. See comment 13 on the next page or read the pinned comment on that video.
      Thanks mroche
      Last edited by chocolate; 28 July 2021, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I wonder if anyone is going to do anything with this engine.
        I wonder if Amazon intends to continue the developement, or if they just to cut costs and have other people maintain it. Some companies open source stuff that they're abandoning.

With id Tech 4 (the Doom 3 engine), nothing really happened with it. It was open sourced, but nobody really made any game with it, well other than The Dark Mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
          There may be.

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
          Not so stellar C++ code quality at the moment. Time will tell.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IndGlm2uZCU
          It was a former closed-source engine. Code quality of closed-source projects isn't always great...

Comment

Unreal and Unity are close to having a duopoly afaict. Maybe the editor will help O3DE's market share. Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              It was a former closed-source engine. Code quality of closed-source projects isn't always great...
              I don't think there is much correlation to code quality and source openness.
              Open-source is typically only clean if a lot of unrelated people are touching it. Otherwise, it tends to be amateurish, especially if nobody was paid to make it.
              Closed-source is often clean because usually, someone is getting paid to do it and any product worth buying was developed by someone who knows how to program properly. But, it can be messy because code behind closed doors only has to make sense to the creators and nobody else.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I don't think there is much correlation to code quality and source openness.
                Open-source is typically only clean if a lot of unrelated people are touching it. Otherwise, it tends to be amateurish, especially if nobody was paid to make it.
                Closed-source is often clean because usually, someone is getting paid to do it and any product worth buying was developed by someone who knows how to program properly. But, it can be messy because code behind closed doors only has to make sense to the creators and nobody else.
                Messy. That is exactly what I meant.
                Last edited by tildearrow; 28 July 2021, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
                  A full featured engine, that can handle AAA games, multiplatform and free, offering a great alternative to Unreal and Unity...
                  Yeah who would want that ??? Let's complain with you.
                  Last edited by rmfx; 28 July 2021, 03:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Personally I am sticking with Godot and waiting for 4.0, I can imagine this will turn out like freertos once they put all the aws hooks in it

Comment

Working...
                    X