Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL2 Lands Support For Client-Side Decorations On Wayland

Phoronix: SDL2 Lands Support For Client-Side Decorations On Wayland

The SDL2 library that is commonly used by many cross-platform games landed several patches this weekend to improve its Wayland support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting. Does this mean I can finally use ffplay and qemu compiled with --enable-sdl --with-sdlabi=2.0 and have a proper window with a border in Wayland?

Comment

this will work great with gnome

Comment

My guess is that this will just provide a border around the window that you can use to resize the window.

I don't think it will use any GTK or Qt theme that you might have.

Comment

Hurray! There's now extra dependency so that GNOME could display rectangle that is possible to move or resize. If only games wouldn't segfault when trying to use Wayland backend...

If I'm getting it right, SSDs are still optional, right? If we use it on Plasma or Sway, it won't draw GNOME borders, right?

Still, there are other native Wayland apps that don't draw their borders, like RetroArch or Electron.

Comment

Hooray, now to just wait for a new SDL to be released, and to be packaged by the distros and flathub.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Interesting. Does this mean I can finally use ffplay and qemu compiled with --enable-sdl --with-sdlabi=2.0 and have a proper window with a border in Wayland?
              Prior to this, it worked in everything but GNOME. Now it would work with GNOME too.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                My guess is that this will just provide a border around the window that you can use to resize the window.
                I don't think it will use any GTK or Qt theme that you might have.
                I haven't tried using it yet, but I expect the result to show window borders according to your DE. I just had a 30 seconds peek at the project and it's descriptions states support for multiple backends.

Currently there is dummy backend and a cairo backend, the latter one sounding familiar to me as a gnome user. I also see Jonas Adahl being part of the commit history which is known to be involved with lots of gnome and GTK code hacking.

I don't see any Qt stuff, but I guess someone might dive into that matter later on.

Comment

Originally posted by bple2137 View Post
                  Hurray! There's now extra dependency so that GNOME could display rectangle that is possible to move or resize. If only games wouldn't segfault when trying to use Wayland backend...
                  Report it. The Wayland backend might become the default soon, so make sure you report every crash with it (also look that the game doesn't use an own, old SDL.). Also the extra dependency is smol. Nothing scary about it.

If I'm getting it right, SSDs are still optional, right?
                  Yes.

If we use it on Plasma or Sway, it won't draw GNOME borders, right?
                  What do you mean with "GNOME borders"?

Still, there are other native Wayland apps that don't draw their borders, like RetroArch or Electron.
                  Electron is beeing worked on. ( https://github.com/electron/electron/pull/29618 ). I dont know for RetroArch.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                    What do you mean with "GNOME borders"?
                    He's asking for reassurance that running an SDL application under KDE will still use the KWin-provided SSDs, rather than forcibly drawing its own CSD that make it look like someone screenshotted a GNOME app and then pasted it into a KDE screenshot.

Comment

Working...
                    X