Proposed Reflink Support Would Provide Big Space Savings For Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
    If you have ZFS block deduplication turned on then you might actually get better savings (working block-by-block instead of file-by-file), depending on how the reflinks implementation you're comparing to works (whether it copies the whole file or works incrementally; dunno, first time I've encountered it).
    no. reflink just increments reference counts and points to existing extents. which can be one extent per file or more in case of fragmentation. zfs deduplication is strictly worse. zfs is obsolete by design

Comment

Originally posted by landeel View Post
      It does make a huge difference for people who buy the 64 GB model of Steam Deck.
      i have steam game which wouldn't fit in 64gb. on the other hand i have many steam games installed and i can save a lot of space in prefixes.

Comment

Originally posted by landeel View Post
        I'm considering using a BTRFS partition to share my data and game library between Linux and Windows.
        Does anyone know how stable and secure WinBtrfs is? Risks of data loss?
        uninstall windows and get a lot of free space. play games with good linux support, when you finish, rest will have good support too.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          If this makes debugging WINE prefixes easier by having a less complex file-tree I will be very happy.
          it has no effect on file tree

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            uninstall windows and get a lot of free space. play games with good linux support, when you finish, rest will have good support too.
            I was considering that lately on one of my 500GB 860 EVO's. It has Windows on there for a few games, and I *could* use the extra space but it's nice having a Windows drive for some games where Windows is the only choice. The way I see it is this: Why limit my computer to just Linux? If a game I really want requires Windows, I'll install Windows and play it. I don't have to expect everyone to champion Linux like I do, you know. But that's my thinking right now. My main drive is two 860 EVO's 500GB in a RAID0 giving me 1TB. Lightening fast.

These are the games I currently have installed on Windows. Haven't actually booted into Windows in maybe 6 months lol. But it's nice to know it's there, but, back to your point, I could use the free space too. Or buy another drive =)

Comment

ZFS (being CoW by nature) will _always_ copy files by reference until they've been written to. I'm reasonably sure that when this happens it only copies the altered blocks.
              you have no idea what you are talking about. apps copy files, not zfs. the only way app can copy file by reference is to give that reference to kernel via copy_file_range, i.e. reflink, which is not supported by zfs
              Last edited by pal666; 25 July 2021, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                If a game I really want requires Windows, I'll install Windows and play it
                do you play games, or games play you?

Comment

I think you're overthinking it. My games don't own me. I own my games. Again, not everything has to champion open-source and Free Software for me, but I obviously would hope everything to be, I'm also a realist

Comment

Sublime Text is one of the best, if not the best, piece of software I use. It's closed source and I paid for a license. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Comment

As far as I know, ZFS does both. The CoW theme is pervasive in it's design. The previous issue may still be open because people are asking for a very specific BTRFS interface to be implemented.
                      people are asking for linux interface, which is in no way btrfs-specific. zfs does not support reflinks, your knowledge is not that far

Comment

Working...
                      X