No announcement yet.

The Future Of UT3 On Linux Appears Uncertain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, that is never a good thing to do. If the company wrongs you, deal with that but always keep your end. It's better to make it more difficult for them to lay a finger on you.

Not sure what's up with Ryan and Epic but I'm not going to leap on unpaid bills being a source of the delay. But, I know that some developers do that until they are paid in full.

To be frank, I think it's a complicated mess filled with contact this for that, and when they do that it goes to another guy. Likely the mess goes to the point that Epic hasn't bothered to follow up somebody and Ryan is stuck somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      Ah, but then why if Ryan isnt getting paid what he was promised by epic, effectively getting screwed by epic, why isnt he just suing them, or publicly annoucing that this linux client is done for good, unless he is paid? NDA keeps him on a leash? If i wasnt getting paid what i was promised in a contract, i would say screw the NDA, or is he somehow loyal to Epic?
      The moment you go and do that is the moment the contracts typically dry up. Unless you're retiring, you probably don't want to play that card unless you absoposilutely need to.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
        Not sure what's up with Ryan and Epic but I'm not going to leap on unpaid bills being a source of the delay. But, I know that some developers do that until they are paid in full.
        Considering the level of skillset Ryan has, I doubt that he's stuck on something. There's something up and it's NOT something coding-wise that's doing it. Ryan's pretty damn good at fixing that sort of thing. In fact, he's better than most of the other people doing it right at the moment.

Over a year and a half delay is NOT due to being "stuck" on something in the code. It's a legal or financial hang on things. Moreover, if it was him, he'd not be bound by NDA and he'd have probably owned up to it at this point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Considering the level of skillset Ryan has, I doubt that he's stuck on something. There's something up and it's NOT something coding-wise that's doing it. Ryan's pretty damn good at fixing that sort of thing. In fact, he's better than most of the other people doing it right at the moment.

Over a year and a half delay is NOT due to being "stuck" on something in the code. It's a legal or financial hang on things. Moreover, if it was him, he'd not be bound by NDA and he'd have probably owned up to it at this point in time.
          I find skillset very unlikely to be the cause too. But I also doubt it's financial. Whatever it is, I think it's likely to be some legal quagmire involving multiple companies that has paralyzed the entire development.

Comment

Didn't Epic churn out some time ago that things stalled due to "middleware" higgledy-piggledy ( hey I learned a new cool word :P )? I don't want to poke fingers into general directions but since GameSpy is part of the show...
            Last edited by Dragonlord; 13 April 2009, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              Didn't Epic churn out some time ago that things stalled due to "middleware" higgledy-piggledy ( hey I learned a new cool word :P )? I don't want to poke fingers into general directions but since GameSpy is part of the show...
              Heh... I wish people would quit using that stuff... It's narfy.

Comment

actually i think it'd be speedtree

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
                  You may be onto something. The two screenshots that have been released have no foliage outside of the houseplant in the window and vines on the side of the building which are most likely just part of the building's wall texture.

Comment

SpeedTree on linux is not a problem (Savage 2 uses it).

Comment

And why would you think this? As someone pointed out, Savage 2 uses it- and it's out.

Do you happen to have some basis for your remark or are you just grasping at straws?

Comment

Working...
                      X