Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

Phoronix: XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

Last week Nexuiz 2.5 was released and we said it raised the bar for open-source gaming as it already offered impressive graphics and this new release was greeted by various engine improvements, new models, and over 3,000 other changes. Well, Nexuiz is not the only open-source first person shooter striving for perfection even without the backing of a major game studio. A relatively unheard of game engine is XreaL, which has not had a stable release yet but its lead developer claims that it is definitely the most advanced open-source game engine.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That sounds pretty interesting, although the Sauerbraten engine and the Darkplaces Engine (minus the performance) are really good, too. Will definitly keep an eye on this project!

Comment

I have to say that it looks like it has some neat graphical features, but the heavy GLSL dependency worries me about code clarity. Taking a quick look in the SVN repos, this fear seems to be partially justified. Worse, they've put binaries in the svn repo, which is generally seen as bad practice. I'm afraid this project will fade away like many others.

Comment

Originally posted by tulcod View Post
        I have to say that it looks like it has some neat graphical features, but the heavy GLSL dependency worries me about code clarity. Taking a quick look in the SVN repos, this fear seems to be partially justified. Worse, they've put binaries in the svn repo, which is generally seen as bad practice. I'm afraid this project will fade away like many others.
        I don't really know how you get from glsl and binaries in svn to "this project will fade away".
        It's pretty normal for smaller projects for you to keep some binary stuff around that you haven't gotten around to integrate fully in the build system and that rarely changes.

Also the glsl code seems to be organized and nicely commented, might even be a good place for a newbie to get a feel for GLSL.

Anyway, good luck to the XreaL developers, I hope we can see a playable release soon

Comment

GLSL + Binary = Fail. The idea behind GLSL is that you _don't_ need a compiler like CGC to get things done. The only thing that makes sense is to use a shader tree to generate the GLSL code but this is another problem. That said what's so advanced on this? I don't want to down-call on this project but looking at the screenshots I ask myself what is exactly so next-gen on it? ( because I ought to claim that this is not the most advanced engine... but I guess this depends on what part of the engine you look at )

Comment

Get urban terror running on this engine and I will be happy.

Comment

Looks interesting, thanks for the heads up. Glad to see an engine targetting the newer 3.x opengl spec.

Comment

optimized for opengl es 2.0?
                hope someones going to use it for the pandora

Comment

Someone should try loading some content from America's Army (Unreal Engine 2 based), I wonder how it would handle a large outdoor environment like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    GLSL + Binary = Fail. The idea behind GLSL is that you _don't_ need a compiler like CGC to get things done. The only thing that makes sense is to use a shader tree to generate the GLSL code but this is another problem. That said what's so advanced on this? I don't want to down-call on this project but looking at the screenshots I ask myself what is exactly so next-gen on it? ( because I ought to claim that this is not the most advanced engine... but I guess this depends on what part of the engine you look at )
                    Heh... You beat me to the same sort of remarks. I'm intrigued by the HDR support and a few other things, but the GLSL + Binary issue has me thinking similar thoughst to yours, Dragonlord.

Comment

Working...
                    X