Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XreaL: The Most Advanced Open-Source Game Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all this XreaL stuff is hype, but it's going to be unfortunate for all those non-developers to recommend XreaL for everything from this point on (like posts all over telling people to switch to Ogre or Irrlicht from an already working solution. Yes, even OA got that request once)

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
    How many artists do you know that use a Linux based operating system?
    It can't be me, because tablet drivers only exist for the WACOM. :/
    Last edited by leilei; 14 April 2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
      It can't be me, because tablet drivers only exist for the WACOM. :/
      So, out of curiosity, which tablet do you use? (Noting my GF has a Bamboo that works fine...)

Comment

Out of curiosity... which tablet besides Wacom ones are worth anything in the end?

Comment

For a cheap tablet the Genius G-Pen M712 is good, according to a friend.

Comment

Pardon, but I'm going to have to play the "confused" role, here. What prevents me from implementing an RTS, terrible "RPG," fighting game, flight sim, arcade racer, or pinball machine in any of these engines, exactly?

The only practical reason I can see that there are so many FPS games is that taking an engine-with-FPS-as-tech-demo to a "full-fledged," "new" game is relatively straightforward and "simple." If people that like deathmatch combat go on to make a similar game, is it really so surprising?

Though I'll admit I'm not as familiar with IdTech and variants as I am with competitors. :/

Comment

Reason is simple. FPS are "dumb" games. Dumb in a technical way in that you need just a bunch of weapons, a bunch of power ups and a bunch of maps and there you are, finished is your run-of-the-mill multiplayer game. Non-FPS games require much more to get anywhere especially from the programming part. FPS engines also tend to be very restrictive to FPS only ( some notable exceptions like UnrealEngine ) so they are not versatile. And what use is a non-versatile engine if I can get ( as a developer ) a versatile one from the AAA realm? Not much in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
                How many artists do you know that use a Linux based operating system?
                I know one! He's working on my FPS game

I do think artists get stereotyped a bit too much, especially by the programming community - the chief reason for an artist NOT to use Linux is a smaller selection of content creation apps.

Much the same way that Linux or Mac may be viewed as appealing development platform by many programmers (ok, maybe not Mac), artists view Windows as an appealing development platform because it runs the most modeling apps, paint programs, and conversion tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                  Reason is simple. FPS are "dumb" games. Dumb in a technical way in that you need just a bunch of weapons, a bunch of power ups and a bunch of maps and there you are, finished is your run-of-the-mill multiplayer game. Non-FPS games require much more to get anywhere especially from the programming part. FPS engines also tend to be very restrictive to FPS only ( some notable exceptions like UnrealEngine ) so they are not versatile. And what use is a non-versatile engine if I can get ( as a developer ) a versatile one from the AAA realm? Not much in fact.
                  I'm going to have to beg to differ on two points here:
                  1. FPS games often have scripted cinematics, collectable equipment, and other elements that have significant cross-over with the RPG genre (however inventory management and a lot of UI work must be added).

They also have ample amounts of AI controlled creatures, which brings them close to RTS (however map-wide routing and sector-based strategic AI must be added).

You can even look at the selection of Quake mods to see a handful of RTS or RPG games that didn't even modify the engine code at all (some of them predate the release of the source)...

All that said, there are fundamental design differences one tends to see in RTS games, RPG games, and indoor FPS games, chiefly to do with outdoor landscape handling (RTS, RPG) and stream loading (RPG).

2. UnrealEngine is clearly designed for indoor/outdoor FPS (while some other engines are solely indoor FPS focused), and requires significant tweaking for each title, which makes me question the "not FPS" claim.

It's also not very friendly to modders in terms of flexibility (as I learned the hard way when doing contract work on a game prototype in the form of a UT3 mod), proving difficult to turn into a non-FPS game without surgery on the engine code, but I assume you were speaking only of licensees.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHavoc View Post
                    Much the same way that Linux or Mac may be viewed as appealing development platform by many programmers (ok, maybe not Mac)
                    Heh, ask Carmack what he uses.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                      Heh, ask Carmack what he uses.
                      Mac OS X? But that's only for the NeXT inheritance.

Comment

Working...
                      X