Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
    Or as if Linux was called Free Unix Compatible Kernel
    I like this one. I do hope it was a strong contender back in the day.

Code:
    # apt-get install fuck-headers

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Absolutely, Though I don't believe it will be able to compete with the others. Especially with indies. We evaluated it for one of our own projects and at the time my colleague was the developer who made Prospekt (one of the very few Half-Life 2 "in-universe" games). So this was quite useful to hear his experiences.

The engine has many benefits but it also has a number of complexities linking back to its idTech roots. For example it is still quite big on BSP compilers which need to be leakless. Designers need a lot of discipline to work with this. Ultimately this makes it less "fun" for indies.

It also doesn't have this idea of an all in one integrated "fun" editor. It has separate tools for the levels, animations, faces, speech, etc. I personally much prefer this however, I think these big editors are awkward for programmers.

That said, I think Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines had an interesting concept adding Python ontop of (an early version of) the Source engine. This does open it up a little more to indies.

I am not a massive fan of Valve's DRM (even sodding Hammer has it!) but they did very well with Source. It is a really good example of an engine with major legacy baggage. However with some of their recent VR titles, it still looks serviceable.
      Yeah, the Source Engine is probably far from the best engine, but I still think it would be great if Valve did open source it. It would be be interesting to see if the community would do anything interesting with the engine, or see if patches and code would flow between it and other id Tech engine forks such as the DarkPlaces engine.

It would also make a bit of sense for Valve since the Source engine was based on the id Tech engine which is open source, so it would fit in with the spirit. It would also make sense since Valve's business model and their revenue is from Steam, not from making video games.

Comment

Well, that would certainly give "F.U.C.K. me running" a whole new meaning.

Comment

Bad rant
          And updates to a branch would be indicated with a ‘U’,'i.e. F.U.C.K-U

Comment

Bad rant

The name just annoys me a bit... Open 3D Engine? Sounds slightly boring when compared to Unreal, Source, CryEngine, Unigine, Unity or even Godot...

That's as if Adobe Photoshop was called Advanced Picture Editor, or as if Final Cut Pro were to be called Video Editing Toolkit...
            Or as if FL Studio were to be called Music Production System...
            Or as if Qt was called General UI Toolkit
            Or as if Vulkan were to be called Low Level Graphics Library
            Or as if SuperTuxKart was called Open 3D Car Racing Game

The name "Open 3D Engine" sounds too generic...
            Well, it’s your point of view. Personally I hate when there is 500 dumb names to remember for any tools. When the image viewer is “eyemaster”, an other tool is “loltootool”, an other one is “konfigurator” …etc it is super heterogeneous and annoying.

Lumberyard was a bad name too anyway so something simpler is welcome. And the acronym O3DE is not that generic. It’s pretty recognizable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post

Well, it’s your point of view. Personally I hate when there is 500 dumb names to remember for any tools. When the image viewer is “eyemaster”, an other tool is “loltootool”, an other one is “konfigurator” …etc it is super heterogeneous and annoying.

Lumberyard was a bad name too anyway so something simpler is welcome. And the acronym O3DE is not that generic. It’s pretty recognizable to me.
              Your desktop should have an option to use the generic name data from the .desktop files in the launcher... just don't come crying to me when you have two different "File Manager"s, three "Text Editor"s, etc. (Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure I've seen another Open 3D Engine or two (or something close enough that it blurs together) over the last two decades.)

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Your desktop should have an option to use the generic name data from the .desktop files in the launcher... just don't come crying to me when you have two different "File Manager"s, three "Text Editor"s, etc. (Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure I've seen another Open 3D Engine or two (or something close enough that it blurs together) over the last two decades.)
                For basic utilities like the text editor or file manager it makes sense to use an unoriginal name... e.g. Explorer, Notepad, Paint, Finder, TextEdit...

But for something on a larger scale it is best to impress your audience with cool-sounding names...

Comment

For basic utilities like the text editor or file manager it makes sense to use an unoriginal name... e.g. Explorer, Notepad, Paint, Finder, TextEdit...

But for something on a larger scale it is best to impress your audience with cool-sounding names...
                  My point is that even Nautilus, official file manager for the desktop most enamoured with displaying generic names, is officially known as Nautilus. That's why a properly complete .desktop file will include both a name and a generic name so the desktop can choose what to display in a consistent manner.

Comment

Look at deepin de…
                    Everything is called “deepin-[neat and clear generic name]”.
                    Impossible to be confused between deepin-xxx and anything xxx else because of the deepin prefix…
                    …and you type deepin + tab and you have a clean list of all tools available super easy to parse and understand.

So the argument about programs all having the same name making it confusing -> bs

Comment

StarCitizen devs haven't even got vulkan working on this engine yet.. good job by the linux team here.

Comment

Working...
                      X