No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming Performance With Radeon Vulkan NGG Culling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the reason that rdna is less profiting from it compared to rdna2?

Does nggc vertex grouping help out here?

BTW that sounds like a noob question is there any way to activate a hud fps counter with vkd3d in proton ? Like with DXVK_HUD=fps? I know there is mangohud out there but the compilation requirements always break my build libs dependencies (some classic i386.,.).

I have an AMD 5700XT so Navi10rdna1 and nggc+vertex grouping seems to make crowded market scenes less stuttery in Cyberpubk2077 but I can not check this without an fps counter...might be just placebo. Or frametimes and latency related.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      What is the reason that rdna is less profiting from it compared to rdna2?

Does nggc vertex grouping help out here?

BTW that sounds like a noob question is there any way to activate a hud fps counter with vkd3d in proton ? Like with DXVK_HUD=fps?
      Mesa overaly is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Then the good news is that you get about 5% perf improvement from NGGC on RDNA2 in The Witcher 3.
        Yep, just tested. Nice improvement (closer to 3% in my case, but still). 2560x1440, Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT.

Without nggc:

With nggc:

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          Yep, just tested. Nice improvement (closer to 3% in my case, but still). 2560x1440, Sapphire Pulse RX 6800 XT.
          It depends on scene, quality settings and resolution. Lower resolution and quality seem to benefit more, and higher benefit less, probably because the vertex processing work is proportionally less on higher settings (as pixel shaders become relatively heavier). I measured the 5% at 1440p with medium settings, at the very first scene of the game (where it is 257 fps without nggc, and 272 fps with).

Comment

any reason why its not going to be enabled by default once released? isn't this enabled by default in the windows drivers? so why wouldn't it be on linux? from what i can tell there doesn't really appear to be a universal downside to it.

Comment

Originally posted by middy View Post
              any reason why its not going to be enabled by default once released? isn't this enabled by default in the windows drivers? so why wouldn't it be on linux? from what i can tell there doesn't really appear to be a universal downside to it.
              I'd like to eventually enable it by default on RDNA 2, but we're not comfortable enabling it until we got some solid performance data that proves it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

It is beneficial in games that render a lot of primitives, where the fixed-function culling becomes a bottleneck. What this does is remove triangles in the shader so the fixed-function hardware has less work to do.
                Wonder what it does for star citizen, it renders allot of things... had major bottleneck under Linux, models, objects, and textures take extremely long time to load in.

Comment

got tricked by the placebo effect. unfortunately nggc is slightly worsening the performance on RDNA1 NAVI10 5700XT in CP2077.
                  Its such a pitty that CP2077 does not have a proper ingame Benchmark. A scene loads allways slightly different but the fps was consistent anyway.
                  However Settings set to Ultra - res 1920x1200 (proton-ge-6.12-GE1)

FPS in this scene Cherry Blossom Market*

Nggc: 52-55

no Nggc: 54-56

Keep in mind mesa is still compiled with the mr
                  radv: Use 128-sized vertex grouping for NGG shaders.
                  https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/11810

*for some reason I'm not allowed to upload attachments - so no screenshots? tildearrow

edit: tildearrow thx for clearifing the upload situation. makes sense.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 17 July 2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
                    *for some reason I'm not allowed to upload attachments - so no screenshots? tildearrow
                    Yep. Perhaps to not overload Phoronix's servers with images.

I suggest you to use a different service for uploading screenshots, like your own website or Postimage (beware the latter might insert advertisement links on its BBCode option).

Comment

thx

VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay VK_LAYER_MESA_OVERLAY_CONFIG=fps=1

Comment

Working...
                      X