No announcement yet.

Valve Announces Steam Deck As Portable SteamOS + AMD Powered Portable PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any confirmed features to be Linux exclusive? Will it really be able to run Windows on day0 with all drivers and stuff? Being a custom thing.

I hope Valve did some Microsoftery and it runs Windows like a second-class citizen. Nothing malicious, just business. At least the OpenGL drivers will be pure shit on Windows.

Comment

• In before Half-Life: Lamarr, Steam Deck exclusive, is announced.

it sounds good, but this thing is ugly, too big, and how the heck is supposed to dissipate all the heat? Also, text is going to be unreadable unless developers work on it.
      Last edited by trizio; 22 July 2021, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by AHOY View Post
        I hope Valve did some Microsoftery and it runs Windows like a second-class citizen. Nothing malicious, just business. At least the OpenGL drivers will be pure shit on Windows.
        If Windows doesn't work ideally, then that'll get rid of what little interest I have in it. I feel Halo MCC would be great on this and would likely be the first thing I'd try, and EAC doesn't work on Linux. Most of the games I have have some sort of anti-cheat or Xbox sign-in, and I don't want to mess with this on Linux.

It's supposed to be a handheld gaming console, not a tinker box. I can buy a laptop and toss Linux on it if I wanted to gamble how my games will work And alternatively, if I want a handheld gaming console that'll just work for games no questions asked, I can buy a Switch. I don't think Valve would waste time with this if they weren't confident in it, but I really question how well this will sell.

Originally posted by leech View Post
        ...Though I think Linux's eGPU support is still rather flaky, isn't it?
        A few years ago I had a Macbook Pro 2014, and an eGPU (TB2) worked best on Linux with the highest performance and least amount of hacks. I needed a 3rd-party app for it to work under macOS. And it didn't work at all on Windows.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          Yes but its less supported than Arch (which is rolling by default), Arch gets more testing for its default distribution.
          i'm pretty sure fedora kernels are order of magnitude more supported than arch kernels

Comment

• Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

If Windows doesn't work ideally, then that'll get rid of what little interest I have in it. I feel Halo MCC would be great on this and would likely be the first thing I'd try, and EAC doesn't work on Linux. Most of the games I have have some sort of anti-cheat or Xbox sign-in, and I don't want to mess with this on Linux.

It's supposed to be a handheld gaming console, not a tinker box. I can buy a laptop and toss Linux on it if I wanted to gamble how my games will work And alternatively, if I want a handheld gaming console that'll just work for games no questions asked, I can buy a Switch. I don't think Valve would waste time with this if they weren't confident in it, but I really question how well this will sell.

A few years ago I had a Macbook Pro 2014, and an eGPU (TB2) worked best on Linux with the highest performance and least amount of hacks. I needed a 3rd-party app for it to work under macOS. And it didn't work at all on Windows.
            Halo Master Chief Collection worked on Linux last time I tried it.

Comment

• Originally posted by leech View Post
              Halo Master Chief Collection worked on Linux last time I tried it.
              without anticheat and thus without access to many many servers

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm pretty sure fedora kernels are order of magnitude more supported than arch kernels
                That sounds very convincing /s

Comment

That sounds very convincing /s
                  well it was your claim of arch kernel support superiority, burden of proof is on you. now it's less funny, isn't it?

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    well it was your claim of arch kernel support superiority, burden of proof is on you. now it's less funny, isn't it?
                    Well if you look at https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity (and also take into account distributions that use Arch as their base, i.e. Manjaro) then it is. More importantly though, a lot of KDE developers use Arch/Manjaro mainly because of how easy it is to hack on the OS with makepkg compared to creating RPM packages.

I noticed this firsthand when my workplace "strongly" recommended Fedora (so I went along with it) and then I realized how much more ancient it is when it comes to package management (by this I mean, they have a stable repo which is often outdated and there isn't any other good resources for getting more up to date/user created packages, i.e. an equivalent to https://aur.archlinux.org/)

Comment

then i'll see some random meaningless page on internet. it doesn't mean what you think it means
                      Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                      More importantly though, a lot of KDE developers use Arch/Manjaro mainly because of how easy it is to hack on the OS with makepkg compared to creating RPM packages.
                      but how kde devs unfamiliarity with rpm relates to fedora kernel support?
                      Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                      I noticed this firsthand when my workplace "strongly" recommended Fedora (so I went along with it) and then I realized how much more ancient it is when it comes to package management (by this I mean, they have a stable repo which is often outdated and there isn't any other good resources for getting more up to date/user created packages, i.e. an equivalent to https://aur.archlinux.org/)
                      if you can't find something, it can be your fault https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/
                      Last edited by pal666; 25 July 2021, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X